All Categories

Arena Changes (From Digest)

Arena Changes (From Digest)

Search
Comments
Apr 8, 2022, 12:2204/08/22
Apr 8, 2022, 12:25(edited)
09/21/20

Is there any intention to address the '3 Great Hall Bonuses to Level 10' one - that's as bad if not even worse than the 'reach x tier' ones in my opinion. Especially as loads of the following ones are again ridiculously easy to complete (loads already are complete in my chain) in comparison. 

Just shows that linking arena at all to those mission chains might have worked fine originally but is now just broken. Remove ANY arena requirements OR make medals much easier to obtain.

harleQuinnModerator
Apr 8, 2022, 12:2404/08/22
02/24/19
kramaswamy.kr

I'm curious as to why the second and third ones didn't award any points? Is that a visual glitch or what?

Too close together in time, so the repeat defense wins do not award points due to the old boosting in Arena.

If you wanted to make Plt a while back, you had your friends just hit refresh looking for you, as many times as it took. Then they would purposely lose over and over again to boost up your score and increase your points just about endlessly. Plat (and downward) became about who could boost more, and about very little else.

harleQuinnModerator
Apr 8, 2022, 12:2904/08/22
02/24/19
Trips

i

And to follow up on my previous post, these are spaced out enough that the algorithm (which was changed yesterday from what I know) that Trips was able to get points for most of the wins. 

Trips, that dude was pretty unhappy he couldn't beat ya, huh? :D :D  You would think people with names like "Daddy" or "Alpha" or "AlphaDaddy" would be calm and take losses gracefully, wouldn't you?

Apr 8, 2022, 12:3904/08/22
10/08/18

Any plans to adjust the tag team arena missions?  They are a bigger roadblock than the classic missions. Because of the limited number of players allowed in the tiers,  you can't progress unless the top players leave the game. 

harleQuinnModerator
Apr 8, 2022, 12:4004/08/22
Apr 8, 2022, 12:44(edited)
02/24/19
evilized6666

So when does the arena fix happen?

I'm guessing what ever they are trying to do will take a few days to sort out, or at least that's what they will say.

In defense I'm being attacked by plat avatars while sitting around 3k +/-  arena points. I've been hit by people in top clans like tao, mad, glfy, ect. Freaking ramantu teams hitting me here at bottom of G4.

offense refresh is the same story seeing 300-400k teams with multiple empowered champions. Still losing 15+ points to easiest teams on the list.

The only noticable difference is the win point spread seems a little better from 6-14 points.

I don't want to come off like a crybaby as I have spent a lot of time and effort in arena and other areas of the game. I understand what I'm doing and how to gear. I don't have the best gearing but it's is not half bad either. This arena is still a mess and is still broken and unacceptable imo. I'm happy new players can get arbiter easier but that does not over shadow the half assed "fix".

Rant over
For now.

The arena changes were being put into the game when you were posting, basically.

Although many posts between this quoted one and my reply seems to think that means everyone would be instantly spread out and instantly at their old point totals, it has been less than 24 hours.

The people typically at Plat and the Higher Tier Rankings will need to push up, now that half or more of each slate isn't +1 to +4 battles. 

It took several weeks for the changes to G5 to trickle down and become emergency status for the player base. Which it finally did last week, so I would expect it to take AT LEAST a few days for Arena to start being normal. 

(And yes, those of you who said there was DEFINITELY some change last week were incorrect. The mod team, and me specifically, were talking to Plarium about seeing point differences and matchmaking problems weeks before the threads here exploded. If you were 3900ish and played a really good amount of Arena, the matchmaking changes affected you well before it affected G3 to G4.)

harleQuinnModerator
Apr 8, 2022, 12:4304/08/22
02/24/19
Drambuie

Is there any intention to address the '3 Great Hall Bonuses to Level 10' one - that's as bad if not even worse than the 'reach x tier' ones in my opinion. Especially as loads of the following ones are again ridiculously easy to complete (loads already are complete in my chain) in comparison. 

Just shows that linking arena at all to those mission chains might have worked fine originally but is now just broken. Remove ANY arena requirements OR make medals much easier to obtain.

I have not heard that this Ramantu mission will be changed at all right now.

The Upgrade a Great Hall Bonus to Level 10 for Arbiter and Upgrade 3 Great Hall Bonuses to Level 10 for Ramantu will still be the big hurdle in getting those champs. I think the lowered arena thresholds make that grind a bit better, but both of those are meant to remain a decent committment in Arena.

harleQuinnModerator
Apr 8, 2022, 12:4804/08/22
02/24/19
Badgerland

Any plans to adjust the tag team arena missions?  They are a bigger roadblock than the classic missions. Because of the limited number of players allowed in the tiers,  you can't progress unless the top players leave the game. 

I hope so. This is one of the things we covered extensively in our feedback to Plarium this week.

(Basically all my feedback to Plarium since G5 has been about Arena issues exclusively)

Apr 8, 2022, 13:0704/08/22
06/25/20

It's still too early to tell, but one thing which is concerning me about the changes to the range of opponents you get -

Largely speaking, this is a rock-paper-scissor game. With a few exceptions (damn you, Tormin!), I can craft a team to beat much better-geared opponents, since I have the advantage of knowing what you have.

By reducing the set of opponents I get presented with, the likelihood I get the *same* opponent in a refresh increases considerably. And if I know exactly what your team is, because I've already fought it, my chances of winning increase significantly, to the point where it's almost a guaranteed win (or a guaranteed avoid because damn you Tormin).

I worry that what we'll end up seeing is just a quagmire of players refreshing and fighting the same opponents over and over.

I don't know what the solution to this problem is, but someone in another post mentioned something which intruiged me greatly. What if we left the system as-is, except, on weekly reset, we changed the algorithm that determines your new bracket. Rather than having it be determined by the bracket you ended the week in, have it be determined by your global arena ranking.

Have the top X (say, 1000) players automatically be placed in Platinum to start the week, even if they ended the week in G5 (or, even, G4).

Have the next Y (say, 5000) players automatically be placed in G5 to start the week.

For everything below G5, keep the current placement setup. Alter X and Y as the playerbase expands. Make it percentage-based on active players - something like the top 1% start in Plat, and the top 5% start in G5.

harleQuinnModerator
Apr 8, 2022, 13:1904/08/22
02/24/19
kramaswamy.kr

It's still too early to tell, but one thing which is concerning me about the changes to the range of opponents you get -

Largely speaking, this is a rock-paper-scissor game. With a few exceptions (damn you, Tormin!), I can craft a team to beat much better-geared opponents, since I have the advantage of knowing what you have.

By reducing the set of opponents I get presented with, the likelihood I get the *same* opponent in a refresh increases considerably. And if I know exactly what your team is, because I've already fought it, my chances of winning increase significantly, to the point where it's almost a guaranteed win (or a guaranteed avoid because damn you Tormin).

I worry that what we'll end up seeing is just a quagmire of players refreshing and fighting the same opponents over and over.

I don't know what the solution to this problem is, but someone in another post mentioned something which intruiged me greatly. What if we left the system as-is, except, on weekly reset, we changed the algorithm that determines your new bracket. Rather than having it be determined by the bracket you ended the week in, have it be determined by your global arena ranking.

Have the top X (say, 1000) players automatically be placed in Platinum to start the week, even if they ended the week in G5 (or, even, G4).

Have the next Y (say, 5000) players automatically be placed in G5 to start the week.

For everything below G5, keep the current placement setup. Alter X and Y as the playerbase expands. Make it percentage-based on active players - something like the top 1% start in Plat, and the top 5% start in G5.

This is my concern as well Krama, and a problem we have seen before. When you really get going on a Sunday to push up into Plat, you def see the same opponents multiple times. "Oh, that guys Warlord is crazy fast..." or "I can outspeed that team no worries" or "Holy crap how did he get a Basher that fast and accurate" lol

To your suggestion, I have been working on a BIG Arena changes proposal to Plarium I sent in, and am supposed to submit it again in the more official stuff. Your suggestion fits really well in there, or on it's own even. :)

Apr 8, 2022, 13:2004/08/22
04/10/20
harleQuinn

I hope so. This is one of the things we covered extensively in our feedback to Plarium this week.

(Basically all my feedback to Plarium since G5 has been about Arena issues exclusively)

Yeah tag team is equally frustrating

Last 4 weeks I have been in the green going to bed on Sunday night (through careful opponent choice and team formation, isnt this the core idea of the Arena experience?) 

Only to wake up and find my defense has been hammered (easily by a bunch of teams with OP arena champs, maybe this is the real core idea) and I havent been promoted

I'm only trying for silver 4

At the very least couldn't the arena, "reach tier X in the tag Arena", missions be moved to the end of the relevant list?

Or are they designed to block players?

The next mission is clear stage 14 of the lizard FW keep :)

harleQuinnModerator
Apr 8, 2022, 13:2404/08/22
02/24/19
bill

Last 4 weeks I have been in the green going to bed on Sunday night (through careful opponent choice and team formation, isnt this the core idea of the Arena experience?) 

Only to wake up and find my defense has been hammered (easily by a bunch of teams with OP arena champs, maybe this is the real core idea) and I havent been promoted

At the very least couldn't the arena, "reach tier X in the tag Arena", missions be moved to the end of the relevant list?

The issue, as much as anything, is some of us have to go to bed. Reset being static at the middle of the night for the Americas is silly.

Making G1 and S3-4, for many, is about staying up and fighting to get wins to mitigate the losses. Or, you can get about 500 points+ into the green to be more sure. Either way, whether you stay up or bank more points prior, the answer for most of us ended up being "Fight a TON more battles". :(

Apr 8, 2022, 13:2804/08/22
06/25/20
bill

The answer to this one is quite simple, really -

Don't sleep :)

Apr 8, 2022, 13:4704/08/22
04/10/20

Its a long time since a game has made me miss sleep

I did a 36 hour stint at Everquest back in the day

Apr 8, 2022, 13:5704/08/22
02/14/21
kramaswamy.kr

This is not a bad idea.

I have also mentioned in other threads about the Arena, that instead of removing all points of players to the bottom of the teir that are in, remove a % of the points 10,20, 30 % whatever they feel works best.

This helps in 2 ways, not so many point just remove and not replaced and second a player that fought all week long to either come up just short or to have been hit that 1 extra time before reset would not feel as punished as they do now.

Apr 8, 2022, 13:5804/08/22
03/30/21
harleQuinn

The arena changes were being put into the game when you were posting, basically.

Although many posts between this quoted one and my reply seems to think that means everyone would be instantly spread out and instantly at their old point totals, it has been less than 24 hours.

The people typically at Plat and the Higher Tier Rankings will need to push up, now that half or more of each slate isn't +1 to +4 battles. 

It took several weeks for the changes to G5 to trickle down and become emergency status for the player base. Which it finally did last week, so I would expect it to take AT LEAST a few days for Arena to start being normal. 

(And yes, those of you who said there was DEFINITELY some change last week were incorrect. The mod team, and me specifically, were talking to Plarium about seeing point differences and matchmaking problems weeks before the threads here exploded. If you were 3900ish and played a really good amount of Arena, the matchmaking changes affected you well before it affected G3 to G4.)

We all have opinions, but i do not think the tier adjustment has fixed anything at all, there is currently nobody in plat.

The big issue is the lack of points in the system and the mechanisms to remove them, everyone interested enough to register on the board knows that.

Periodically they inject bots which provide extra points and keep the system afloat (call them low level players from a different segment if you prefer)

Usually when the bots die off people start complaining and they put them back in, this time they decided to not do that... with the current points trajectory G4 will also be almost empty in a month from now.

As for the opponents, now that they tightened up the range i am getting endless empowered siphi/rotos combos and hedge/warlord teams ... with little variation, its like pushing for plat, except im (back) at the bottom of G4.

Apr 8, 2022, 13:5904/08/22
12/19/19
harleQuinn

The issue, as much as anything, is some of us have to go to bed. Reset being static at the middle of the night for the Americas is silly.

Making G1 and S3-4, for many, is about staying up and fighting to get wins to mitigate the losses. Or, you can get about 500 points+ into the green to be more sure. Either way, whether you stay up or bank more points prior, the answer for most of us ended up being "Fight a TON more battles". :(

Staying in G2/G3 is easier than getting in G1.  The teams are tougher by far higher up, but nobody attacks much on Sunday because most don't care which gold they are in as it doesn't really matter. 

Apr 8, 2022, 14:0004/08/22
Apr 8, 2022, 14:00(edited)
03/25/19

As far as I'm concerned you can make the arena even more competitive and difficult but you have to completely dissociate it from pve, the two events between bonus and hall are too tied. You risk compromising the game even to those who do not like the game in PvP, moreover the drops are now obsolete no longer attract many players. Make sure that PvP and PvE are as far away as possible or in my opinion you will ruin the game, the level of the arena is now too high.

harleQuinnModerator
Apr 8, 2022, 14:1904/08/22
02/24/19
BenHuyAmon

We all have opinions, but i do not think the tier adjustment has fixed anything at all, there is currently nobody in plat.

The big issue is the lack of points in the system and the mechanisms to remove them, everyone interested enough to register on the board knows that.

Periodically they inject bots which provide extra points and keep the system afloat (call them low level players from a different segment if you prefer)

Usually when the bots die off people start complaining and they put them back in, this time they decided to not do that... with the current points trajectory G4 will also be almost empty in a month from now.

As for the opponents, now that they tightened up the range i am getting endless empowered siphi/rotos combos and hedge/warlord teams ... with little variation, its like pushing for plat, except im (back) at the bottom of G4.

All defenses are bots. XD XD

But in all seriousness, I am seeing the same stuff at the bottom of G4 right now. 

Falling from 3800+ to 2900 was a precipitous drop for me. I'm sure it happened to MANY PEOPLE a few weeks+ ago, but it was absolutely Brutal to get knocked out of G5 at reset due to being hit every 10-15 minutes by some Plat team, and dropping all the way to 2900 G4 after I had gone to sleep comfortably at the edge of Plat here in North America. 

Based on the teams we are seeing today down here at 2900 ± 300, we are still seeing the aftermath of those crazy drops, like mine, that started when the G5 matchmaking started and had the crazy wide ranges.  And cause reset is at 2am-5am here, people pushing for top 100 or top 50 Plat could just lay into more than half the player base, and that sinks a HUGE percentage of people to 2900, while their points only go to a very select few. Eventually though, they ran out of people to hit except each other, cause all of us G5 people were back in G4 and G3, and they just beat up each other until they all fell into G5, then G4. All those points lost each week, with opponents like me no longer around to gain them back, cause I, and many others were at 2900.

I am not sure anything fixes Arena totally until we all stop getting reset every week to the bottom of the tier. When I was pushed out of G5, I artifically lost the 550+ points I had remaining in the bank from 3450ish to 2900. I earned those points with tokens and time and building Arena champs, why should I, or anyone, lose them?

I personally think, if they want to stay with this system from 2018-2019, that only Plat should fall back. Even if we could just fall back to the MIDDLE of a tier, or a tier based on the tier we spent the majority of our week in, or SOMETHING to keep everyone from losing so much progress every week.

harleQuinnModerator
Apr 8, 2022, 14:2104/08/22
02/24/19
Trips

Staying in G2/G3 is easier than getting in G1.  The teams are tougher by far higher up, but nobody attacks much on Sunday because most don't care which gold they are in as it doesn't really matter. 

I don't disagree :)

This is why I say making G1. The pure act of trying to push through mid silver and into Gold 1 is the whole problem. I think we need significant population expansion of the high Silver and Gold tiers to match the increases in player population since the numbers were set.

Apr 8, 2022, 14:3104/08/22
04/10/20
harleQuinn

All defenses are bots. XD XD

But in all seriousness, I am seeing the same stuff at the bottom of G4 right now. 

Falling from 3800+ to 2900 was a precipitous drop for me. I'm sure it happened to MANY PEOPLE a few weeks+ ago, but it was absolutely Brutal to get knocked out of G5 at reset due to being hit every 10-15 minutes by some Plat team, and dropping all the way to 2900 G4 after I had gone to sleep comfortably at the edge of Plat here in North America. 

Based on the teams we are seeing today down here at 2900 ± 300, we are still seeing the aftermath of those crazy drops, like mine, that started when the G5 matchmaking started and had the crazy wide ranges.  And cause reset is at 2am-5am here, people pushing for top 100 or top 50 Plat could just lay into more than half the player base, and that sinks a HUGE percentage of people to 2900, while their points only go to a very select few. Eventually though, they ran out of people to hit except each other, cause all of us G5 people were back in G4 and G3, and they just beat up each other until they all fell into G5, then G4. All those points lost each week, with opponents like me no longer around to gain them back, cause I, and many others were at 2900.

I am not sure anything fixes Arena totally until we all stop getting reset every week to the bottom of the tier. When I was pushed out of G5, I artifically lost the 550+ points I had remaining in the bank from 3450ish to 2900. I earned those points with tokens and time and building Arena champs, why should I, or anyone, lose them?

I personally think, if they want to stay with this system from 2018-2019, that only Plat should fall back. Even if we could just fall back to the MIDDLE of a tier, or a tier based on the tier we spent the majority of our week in, or SOMETHING to keep everyone from losing so much progress every week.

Yeah we do we need a reset at all? For the rewards?

Just promote me when I get enough points and demote me when I loose them

What am I missing?