Shamael event

Shamael event

Search
Comments
dthorne04Moderator
Dec 29, 2021, 16:1512/29/21
12/30/20

i

Until we know this for sure, let's maybe hold off on assumptions? I understand why you (and many others, for that matter) might be angry/irritated after the whole Shamael/Deterrence saga, but let's try to be objective.

Dec 29, 2021, 17:1212/29/21
06/20/19
Harbby

I love your new pfp!

Me too!  Thanks!

Dec 29, 2021, 17:1412/29/21
07/08/19
Matrim

Let me word it in this manner.

Is Shamael stil a good champion? Yes, he is.

Should Plarium have known and taken into account the Deterence mastery before releasing Hydra? Yes

Is Shamael stil helpful in Hydra: Definitely

Is changing the mastery which has been in game for years instead of changing the Hydra before release a good method: No (Change the Head of Torment Fear ability to once per round -> problem solved)

Why does this event upset me? Because I am 100% sure that the Head of Torment will be rotated out of the next Hydra starting heads and therefor the event at THIS point of time is a pure money grabbing tactic.

let's say for a minute that you're right. let's say that immediately after this guarenteed summon, they drop the head of torment from the rotation.

what of it?

even if they're not around next rotation, they'll be back in a month or two and people will still want a shamael to deal with them. the only difference i see between doing the event now vs before/during the next torment rotation (and again, we're still only assuming that they'll be dropped next cycle) is that doing it now gives him to players earlier, allowing more time to build him. not really seeing a downside to that, tbh.

Dec 29, 2021, 17:1612/29/21
06/20/19
chris

The fact that they changed up Shamael with the release of Hydra tells me that plarium knew he was broken going against Hydra, they just weren't sure HOW broken yet, so I DO think they planned on him being a focus for Hydra and they still are.

I don't understand this thinking at all.  If they changed him BEFORE hydra, then they most likely knew somehting.  If they changed him AFTER hydra, that tells me they were not prepared for the imbalance.  Your thinking is just silly.

Secondly, they did not make any changes to Shamael before or after, they changed a mastery that affects every champ that has it, and just happens to fix the imbalance.  

I do agree they should have found another way to correct the imbalance.  But that's no excuse for lazy thinking.

Dec 29, 2021, 17:2612/29/21
06/20/19
Carpe_Piscis

let's say for a minute that you're right. let's say that immediately after this guarenteed summon, they drop the head of torment from the rotation.

what of it?

even if they're not around next rotation, they'll be back in a month or two and people will still want a shamael to deal with them. the only difference i see between doing the event now vs before/during the next torment rotation (and again, we're still only assuming that they'll be dropped next cycle) is that doing it now gives him to players earlier, allowing more time to build him. not really seeing a downside to that, tbh.

I agree.

It's also obvious head of torment will be dropped from rotation next cycle or the one after that.  Also obvious he will be back in the rotation eventually.  Also obvious when new heads are lined up, new strategies will be needed.  Also obvious when the rotation gets back Shamael will still be a hydra super star.

The math of being "100%" sure Torment will be dropped next rotation befuddles me.  Odds would seem to be 50% of Troment being replaced on the next rotation.  And if it is, it'll be back on the one after that.

dthorne04Moderator
Dec 29, 2021, 18:0612/29/21
12/30/20
Angwil

I agree.

It's also obvious head of torment will be dropped from rotation next cycle or the one after that.  Also obvious he will be back in the rotation eventually.  Also obvious when new heads are lined up, new strategies will be needed.  Also obvious when the rotation gets back Shamael will still be a hydra super star.

The math of being "100%" sure Torment will be dropped next rotation befuddles me.  Odds would seem to be 50% of Troment being replaced on the next rotation.  And if it is, it'll be back on the one after that.

This. Shammy is good. you're still gonna want him in a lot (most?) of hydra comps if you don't have the super endgame setup, going forward. 

Dec 29, 2021, 22:0712/29/21
11/29/20
Harbby

They didn't change Shamael he's still pretty broken, don't tell them I said that! 

They changed a mastery that was putting him into an endless loop of counterattacks for some people. 

I experienced it once and I loved it, but I do think it was pretty cheesy. 

That being said, I do wish something else had been changed instead. 

They snuck this line into the patch notes when they released Hydra:

Other Changes

• Champion rebalance - Inquisitor Shamael

[Skill 1 – Wreak Revenge (Ascended)]

If there are multiple Champions in the team with this Skill, only one Champion's counterattack will activate. 

The actual change is no big deal, I just think it tells us that Plarium anticipated him being used for that skill and that he might be OP.

Dec 29, 2021, 22:4712/29/21
10/15/20
Matrim

Let me word it in this manner.

Is Shamael stil a good champion? Yes, he is.

Should Plarium have known and taken into account the Deterence mastery before releasing Hydra? Yes

Is Shamael stil helpful in Hydra: Definitely

Is changing the mastery which has been in game for years instead of changing the Hydra before release a good method: No (Change the Head of Torment Fear ability to once per round -> problem solved)

Why does this event upset me? Because I am 100% sure that the Head of Torment will be rotated out of the next Hydra starting heads and therefor the event at THIS point of time is a pure money grabbing tactic.

Of course it is an attempt to get people to spend, that is what these sort of games are about, trying to get people to spend money.

My own advice is just ignore the whale events. It is possible to make progress as an FTP (albeit at a slower pace) and in my opinion its more fun since you do not stress about 'wasted cash'

Dec 30, 2021, 00:2112/30/21
01/04/20
chris

They snuck this line into the patch notes when they released Hydra:

Other Changes

• Champion rebalance - Inquisitor Shamael

[Skill 1 – Wreak Revenge (Ascended)]

If there are multiple Champions in the team with this Skill, only one Champion's counterattack will activate. 

The actual change is no big deal, I just think it tells us that Plarium anticipated him being used for that skill and that he might be OP.

Oh, I see. Thank you for pointing that out, I missed it. 

Dec 31, 2021, 06:4512/31/21
06/28/21
Harbby

They didn't change Shamael he's still pretty broken, don't tell them I said that! 

They changed a mastery that was putting him into an endless loop of counterattacks for some people. 

I experienced it once and I loved it, but I do think it was pretty cheesy. 

That being said, I do wish something else had been changed instead. 

There are plenty of cheese tactics in Raid.

Gemcursed soloing Doomtower boss, Vergis soloing Doomtower Boss, I guess there are more cheese tactics in doom tower I don't know about. Various champs soloing stage 25 dungeon bosses, severely underpowered teams with just one carry champ getting 2-4key max clanboss NM chests, etc. What is one more cheese tactic. really?

Dec 31, 2021, 14:2212/31/21
01/04/20
Scathach

There are plenty of cheese tactics in Raid.

Gemcursed soloing Doomtower boss, Vergis soloing Doomtower Boss, I guess there are more cheese tactics in doom tower I don't know about. Various champs soloing stage 25 dungeon bosses, severely underpowered teams with just one carry champ getting 2-4key max clanboss NM chests, etc. What is one more cheese tactic. really?

Oh trust me, I love the cheese tactics. But with Shamael I didn't even have to gear him properly, and everyone else I just tossed in there as they were. At least with the doomtower cheese that I run I need to tune the champs a bit and have them in the proper sets. 

Dec 31, 2021, 14:4212/31/21
06/28/21
Harbby

Oh trust me, I love the cheese tactics. But with Shamael I didn't even have to gear him properly, and everyone else I just tossed in there as they were. At least with the doomtower cheese that I run I need to tune the champs a bit and have them in the proper sets. 

I ddidn't have a full level 60 team. 60% of the team did not have the required stats for NM clanboss. and 100% of the team missed masteries. I still 4keyed NM, because of counterattack/shield/debuff extension cheese. Aka Valkyrie and Aox.

Valkyrie and Aox enabled the holy grail of the early midgame - Max NM chest without the need to tune the rest of the team.

Heck my team is still not tuned, my 2 supposed damage dealers are still too slow. I now 2key NM...thanks again to Valk and Aox.

With Valk and Aox not optimally geared either....

I don't do Hydr and I don't have Shamael. Maybe Shamael was too cheesy. But then that was an epic fail of the dev team, not the first sign, that there is some sort of lack of competence. Also the consequence should have been to change the mechanics of the new experimental content and not the mechanics of a well established champion....Again wrong choioce taken by the dev team.