All Categories

Rotos and the New Player problem

Search
Apr 4, 2020, 15:3704/04/20
06/06/19

It’s pretty obvious that Rotos is overpowered in the arena.  90% of top tier arena players use him, so the evidence is pretty hard to refute.  I understand that everyone HAD an equal opportunity to get this champion.  Let’s disregard life circumstances for the moment and just assume that all who failed to fuse him were simply too lazy.  But what about new players?  What about the referral program?  For many people (not all), the arena is the most fun and most challenging part of the game.  But what do I tell my friends about that aspect of the game.  Right now it would go something like this - “Well, unfortunately you missed this critical event, and your odds of getting this must-have champion randomly are next to zero.  You can still have some fun, but it’s unlikely your team will ever achieve greatness.”

OP champions that can’t be attained through ongoing missions (like Arbiter) need to be rebalanced.  The arena should be mostly about skill with a little bit of luck thrown in for the joy of getting a great champion, but top tier teams shouldn’t all have the same OP champion that new players can’t get with hard work and effort.
Views
Comments
Comments
Apr 4, 2020, 16:3504/04/20
03/22/20
This is irrelevant. He’s getting nerfed. It is what it is 🤷‍♂️
Apr 4, 2020, 18:4104/04/20
Apr 4, 2020, 18:41(edited)
02/13/19
Cuttytheinsane said:

This is irrelevant. He’s getting nerfed. It is what it is 🤷‍♂️
Stop saying he'll get nerfed, he won't.
Apr 5, 2020, 09:4804/05/20
06/22/19

Rotos is good but not op. He is very easy to kill  if you know how to and of course if you have the right champion. 

Use MULTIHIT skill. I bring out Roanas Basileus from vault just to snipe Rotos in arena. His 2nd skill ignore 50percent def, shield and block damage and do 3 hits. 

But I am not contented on a single target hit. I looked ayumilove site and found put that Shatterbones do 3 hit aoe skill. I might test his damage and will use him instead of Roanas if he does enough damage to kill Rotos at gold 4 at least. 

Kellin said:

It’s pretty obvious that Rotos is overpowered in the arena.  90% of top tier arena players use him, so the evidence is pretty hard to refute.  I understand that everyone HAD an equal opportunity to get this champion.  Let’s disregard life circumstances for the moment and just assume that all who failed to fuse him were simply too lazy.  But what about new players?  What about the referral program?  For many people (not all), the arena is the most fun and most challenging part of the game.  But what do I tell my friends about that aspect of the game.  Right now it would go something like this - “Well, unfortunately you missed this critical event, and your odds of getting this must-have champion randomly are next to zero.  You can still have some fun, but it’s unlikely your team will ever achieve greatness.”

OP champions that can’t be attained through ongoing missions (like Arbiter) need to be rebalanced.  The arena should be mostly about skill with a little bit of luck thrown in for the joy of getting a great champion, but top tier teams shouldn’t all have the same OP champion that new players can’t get with hard work and effort.

Apr 5, 2020, 23:5804/05/20
06/06/19

Saying that you happen to have a champ that can defeat Rotos does not really counter that he is OP.  Again the fact that 90% of top tier players use him is Pretty good evidence that he is OP.  Ignore defense is one of the most powerful skills in the game (the official Raid videos say as much).  Combine that with block resurrection, and you have an OP champion.

Apr 6, 2020, 00:1604/06/20
02/27/20
As long as it's not impossible to defeat Rotos, it's fine.  And eventually they'll probably introduce new Champions that everyone wants.  Perhaps one that is useful against Rotos?
Apr 6, 2020, 01:2704/06/20
06/22/19

That is called meta. If every player knows how to counter Rotos, or they release new obtainable champions that have skill to counter Rotos passive, eventually, he will fall out of meta.

I can say as an example (I think) is Skullcrown. Before Tormin and Rotos, before there is Platinum, she is dominating in arena. But now, rarely you can see her in top arena because he falls out of meta in arena defense. 

Kellin said:

Saying that you happen to have a champ that can defeat Rotos does not really counter that he is OP.  Again the fact that 90% of top tier players use him is Pretty good evidence that he is OP.  Ignore defense is one of the most powerful skills in the game (the official Raid videos say as much).  Combine that with block resurrection, and you have an OP champion.

Apr 6, 2020, 06:1404/06/20
02/23/20

Hi Rotos really needs to be nerfed. I think he takes a lot of creativity out of the game. From a bottom line perspective I think this hurts plarium because it basically makes a lot of champs in arena useless.

Let’s look at the sacred order event. How many people were genuinely willing to spend on void shards for Sir Nick? He is basically not as useful in arena now because rotos A3 will ignore unkillable. So why would I spend a dime to get him? That’s not good for Plarium’s bottom line.

Skewing the game towards basically two champs (rotos and siphi) stifles creativity. Soon a lot of people will stop playing because rotos basically determines if you can make plat or not. Really need to reconsider the skill set because it is ridiculously unbalanced.

Apr 6, 2020, 06:4804/06/20
Apr 6, 2020, 08:36(edited)
02/27/20
User55 said:

Hi Rotos really needs to be nerfed. I think he takes a lot of creativity out of the game. From a bottom line perspective I think this hurts plarium because it basically makes a lot of champs in arena useless.

Let’s look at the sacred order event. How many people were genuinely willing to spend on void shards for Sir Nick? He is basically not as useful in arena now because rotos A3 will ignore unkillable. So why would I spend a dime to get him? That’s not good for Plarium’s bottom line.

Skewing the game towards basically two champs (rotos and siphi) stifles creativity. Soon a lot of people will stop playing because rotos basically determines if you can make plat or not. Really need to reconsider the skill set because it is ridiculously unbalanced.

Maybe you do have a point.  While they're at it, they should redo the order of some of the Progress Missions.  It's now very difficult to remain in Silver tier long without Legendary Champions or Rank 6 Champions and probably mostly level 16 Artifacts on all or most of the Champions in your Offensive team.  Maybe your Defensive team as well (if it's not the same as your Offensive Team).  Now some of this may be offset by the particular Champions one uses, but most new players will not be able to figure out the best team compositions without help.
Apr 6, 2020, 11:5404/06/20
06/19/17

I am in gold 4 and I have yet to fear rotos. I dont think I have lost a single figith against him.

On the other spectrum any team with tormin I completely avoid.

Admittedly it is the good old speed setup I use in arena.

So unless you friends dont want to play without being in top 300 I dont see a real problem here. I guess that by the time they do get close to top 300 alot of new champions that are "overpowered" have come and gone.

Apr 6, 2020, 12:1804/06/20
Apr 6, 2020, 12:19(edited)
02/27/20
drone said:

I am in gold 4 and I have yet to fear rotos. I dont think I have lost a single figith against him.

On the other spectrum any team with tormin I completely avoid.

Admittedly it is the good old speed setup I use in arena.

So unless you friends dont want to play without being in top 300 I dont see a real problem here. I guess that by the time they do get close to top 300 alot of new champions that are "overpowered" have come and gone.

Cool.  See, we shouldn't ask for things to be nerfed just because we haven't figured out how to deal with them.  It could be that we aren't using the right Champions, combination of Champions, or that we just don't yet have the Champions we need.  Type of gear and rank/level/rarity of gear could also be a factor.  As well as masteries.  This game has a lot of depth.  Many, many options and many, many different ways to use and combine those options.
Apr 9, 2020, 12:3404/09/20
06/06/19
I do not think they intended one champion (that is nearly impossible to get if you are a new player) to completely dominate the arena.  Again, I understand that some people have a team that can defeat him. But look at the top tier players.  Nearly everyone has him, and many top tier players have him twice.  The proof is right there.  When they try to solve a problem in the arena (like speed or resurrection) they sometimes create a champion that is OP.  There are unintended consequences.  That’s fine.  It happens.  You can’t predict exactly what will happen with a new champion.  But it’s important to re-examine the beast you have created and ask if that is really the balance you want.
Apr 9, 2020, 18:4504/09/20
02/13/19
Kellin said:

I do not think they intended one champion (that is nearly impossible to get if you are a new player) to completely dominate the arena.  Again, I understand that some people have a team that can defeat him. But look at the top tier players.  Nearly everyone has him, and many top tier players have him twice.  The proof is right there.  When they try to solve a problem in the arena (like speed or resurrection) they sometimes create a champion that is OP.  There are unintended consequences.  That’s fine.  It happens.  You can’t predict exactly what will happen with a new champion.  But it’s important to re-examine the beast you have created and ask if that is really the balance you want.
Rotos is OP only if you have a good team to support him. 
Apr 9, 2020, 23:1904/09/20
06/20/19
Kellin said:

It’s pretty obvious that Rotos is overpowered in the arena.  90% of top tier arena players use him, so the evidence is pretty hard to refute.  

You must have info on all Platinum teams.  i stay in Gold IV and he is hardly in 90% of all teams.  i do not have him, wish I did.  But see him in MAYBE 10% of Gold IV teams.
Apr 9, 2020, 23:2904/09/20
Apr 9, 2020, 23:30(edited)
02/27/20
Angwil said:

Kellin said:

It’s pretty obvious that Rotos is overpowered in the arena.  90% of top tier arena players use him, so the evidence is pretty hard to refute.  

You must have info on all Platinum teams.  i stay in Gold IV and he is hardly in 90% of all teams.  i do not have him, wish I did.  But see him in MAYBE 10% of Gold IV teams.
Hm.  I don't like it when people exaggerate and I can't tell if they're exaggerating because I don't have all the information.  As a relatively new player, I have no idea what goes on in the Gold Tiers.
Apr 9, 2020, 23:4004/09/20
06/20/19
Victory March said:

Angwil said:

Kellin said:

Hm.  I don't like it when people exaggerate and I can't tell if they're exaggerating because I don't have all the information.  As a relatively new player, I have no idea what goes on in the Gold Tiers.
I was about to post pics of my last 24 hr of arena D, I'm getting my ass kicked and not a single Rotos has attacked me.  But I have my Guard down trying to stay low in Gold IV so I'll post in the morning after I've had my defense up.
Apr 9, 2020, 23:4204/09/20
02/27/20
Angwil said:

Victory March said:

Angwil said:

Kellin said:

I was about to post pics of my last 24 hr of arena D, I'm getting my ass kicked and not a single Rotos has attacked me.  But I have my Guard down trying to stay low in Gold IV so I'll post in the morning after I've had my defense up.
Cool.  Thanks.
Apr 10, 2020, 08:1104/10/20
06/20/19

Victory March said:

Angwil said:

Victory March said:

Angwil said:

Kellin said:

Cool.  Thanks.

How many Rotos teams do you see that have attacked me in the last 24 hours?
Apr 10, 2020, 09:3004/10/20
03/11/19

That’s just says you have weak defense team m8. Make strong team and you will see that you are attacked by rotos and tormin almost always. I agree that rotos is too OP. 

Apr 10, 2020, 10:0104/10/20
06/20/19
Lacike said:

That’s just says you have weak defense team m8. Make strong team and you will see that you are attacked by rotos and tormin almost always. I agree that rotos is too OP. 

LOL, I stay in gold IV.  I am at defense down.  How is making an even stronger team going to get me attacked by more Rotos?
Apr 10, 2020, 10:0504/10/20
03/11/19
Angwil said:

Lacike said:

LOL, I stay in gold IV.  I am at defense down.  How is making an even stronger team going to get me attacked by more Rotos?
With no defense you can be attacked by low teams also. And you loose points. Put there 200K team or even more and you will see how many of them will come when you will get close to plat tier