All Categories

Plarium:  You Keep Getting This Wrong!  Fix Hydra Clash & Balance Hydra Damage Today!

Plarium: You Keep Getting This Wrong! Fix Hydra Clash & Balance Hydra Damage Today!

Search
May 18, 2024, 00:2705/18/24
01/31/20

Plarium: You Keep Getting This Wrong! Fix Hydra Clash & Balance Hydra Damage Today!

With the last update, you made a change to how Slayer Gear works to calculate bonus damage.  Specifically, you capped it at 10% of Max HP.

Now, you are caving to complaints about that change, when this is actually an opportuntiy to address Hydra damage across the board and rebalance Hydra Clash in one move.  

Just admit that you have repeatedly screwed the pooch on many opportunities to rebalance Hydra damage, and fix Hydra Clash.  Then, fix those problems right now.  

Way back when, you were worried that Max HP Toons would be too powerful on Hydra, so you capped their abilities at 10% of Max HP.  Little did you know that the community was too smart for you and they figured out that there are many toons that could be built to kick Max HP toons to the curb in terms of Hydra Damage.

So, it is now time to cap all skills for all toons at 10% of Max HP and call it done.  There will be no more figuring out the next broken comp to do billions in ways you never imagined; you won't feel the need to nerf Wixwell or Togron; you can put Emic back the way he was intended to be; you can close the door on the Trunda debacle, and whatever debacle comes next.  

I am sure this is what you wanted all along.  Now, it is time to have the courage to do it.  Nothing you do will make everyone happy, but what everyone NEEDS is for you to balance this game mode and keep it balanced.

Now is the time.  

Views
Comments
Comments
May 18, 2024, 01:4105/18/24
12/16/21

100% Agree. It's the obvious and simple solution to many, many problems with clash.

harleQuinnModerator
May 18, 2024, 02:5205/18/24
02/24/19

They're looking at lots of different options. I don't think options that nerf champs in serious ways are gonna get serious looks though.

May 18, 2024, 03:2305/18/24
01/31/20
harleQuinn

They're looking at lots of different options. I don't think options that nerf champs in serious ways are gonna get serious looks though.

Well, I'd be grateful if you passed it on anyway.

Considering the facts that the top chest on NM is under 40M in total dmage and the top chest in Hydra Clash (including the 2X, 3X, 4X multipliers) is 650M, there is no way the Devs intended for us to be doing damage in the Billions.  I am merely suggesting we bring things back into line.         

harleQuinnModerator
May 18, 2024, 04:0405/18/24
02/24/19
WileyMan

Well, I'd be grateful if you passed it on anyway.

Considering the facts that the top chest on NM is under 40M in total dmage and the top chest in Hydra Clash (including the 2X, 3X, 4X multipliers) is 650M, there is no way the Devs intended for us to be doing damage in the Billions.  I am merely suggesting we bring things back into line.         

Don't worry, bringing things in line and other Hydra feedback is something I talk with them about each week. 

I can't go into much but what I've been talked to about is that the Dev Team are considering several solutions, but that nerfing champs (directly or indirectly) is on the rock bottom of that list of possibilities. Champ nerfing is very unlikely and they have no intentions to do so at this time.

On an exclusively personal note, I don't consider nerfing champs a good thing. People spend money and time on obtaining, developing and building those champs. Nerfing champs regularly or even sparingly, it decreases the likelihood people will pull for or work on powerful champs in the future. But knowing that, it just means the Dev Team needs to work harder on finding ways to make their game modes playable by all without nerfing champs. It really just increases their need to creatively solve issues, imo.

And to continue my personal thoughts, based on the discussions I've had with folks, I am actually hopeful we see a change in Clash in the future here. We're definitely seeing a change in the rewards just for participating, and more changes are likely.

May 18, 2024, 04:1805/18/24
May 19, 2024, 02:56(edited)
01/31/20
harleQuinn

Don't worry, bringing things in line and other Hydra feedback is something I talk with them about each week. 

I can't go into much but what I've been talked to about is that the Dev Team are considering several solutions, but that nerfing champs (directly or indirectly) is on the rock bottom of that list of possibilities. Champ nerfing is very unlikely and they have no intentions to do so at this time.

On an exclusively personal note, I don't consider nerfing champs a good thing. People spend money and time on obtaining, developing and building those champs. Nerfing champs regularly or even sparingly, it decreases the likelihood people will pull for or work on powerful champs in the future. But knowing that, it just means the Dev Team needs to work harder on finding ways to make their game modes playable by all without nerfing champs. It really just increases their need to creatively solve issues, imo.

And to continue my personal thoughts, based on the discussions I've had with folks, I am actually hopeful we see a change in Clash in the future here. We're definitely seeing a change in the rewards just for participating, and more changes are likely.

I guess this comes down to how you/we/they define "nerfing".  I would not consider it a nerf to my top Hydra Hitters if Hydra was rebalanced to cap everyone at 10% Max HP, even though their per hit damage would undoubtedly go down.  This redefines the Hydra equation and would effect all toons and team comps.   

That is an adjustment that brings Hydra in line with the strength the Devs originally intended. I am fairly certain they would have capped all toons if they had any idea how much damage some toons would end up doing. 

dthorne04Moderator
May 18, 2024, 04:2905/18/24
12/30/20
harleQuinn

Changing/adjusting the competitive format > nerfing champs. 

As well, I don't think it's a coincidence that the counter to every nerf regarding hydra champs so far is the community finding other strategies that go above and beyond with breaking scoring. as long as that space exists - and has ample benefit to doing so - folks will figure something out  

May 18, 2024, 04:3405/18/24
01/31/20
dthorne04

Changing/adjusting the competitive format > nerfing champs. 

As well, I don't think it's a coincidence that the counter to every nerf regarding hydra champs so far is the community finding other strategies that go above and beyond with breaking scoring. as long as that space exists - and has ample benefit to doing so - folks will figure something out  

I agree that "Changing/adjusting the competitive format > nerfing champs."  

This is specifically why I am suggesting the 10% Max HP cap be applied to all tooons.  It does not nerf specific toons.  It redefines the Hydra equation, making it a different puzzle to solve, while simultaneously preventing the next broken comp before it can even come into existence.

To my mind, it makes more sense than anything else I have seen tossed around.  

harleQuinnModerator
May 18, 2024, 04:5305/18/24
May 18, 2024, 05:14(edited)
02/24/19
WileyMan

I agree that "Changing/adjusting the competitive format > nerfing champs."  

This is specifically why I am suggesting the 10% Max HP cap be applied to all tooons.  It does not nerf specific toons.  It redefines the Hydra equation, making it a different puzzle to solve, while simultaneously preventing the next broken comp before it can even come into existence.

To my mind, it makes more sense than anything else I have seen tossed around.  

It nerfs many many champs, champs that people hunted for and spent for specifically due to their damage potential in Hydra.

I can't get behind semantics of "it changes the equation" when it clearly just nerfs the Hydra champs people spent to get. Bringing a champ or champs down to a lowest common denominator after someone purchases them, you negate those champ, and the hunt someone went through to get them.

I can't get behind semantics of "it changes the equation" when it clearly just nerfs the Hydra champs people spent to get. Bring a champ or champs down to a lowest common denominator after someone purchases them, you negate those champ, and the hunt someone went through to get them.

I also don't want someone nerfing Marius the Murdercorn to 10% after the months and months I'm going to spend getting him. No reason to ever get him at that point, nor play him over any of the other forced mediocre 10% champs.

dthorne04Moderator
May 18, 2024, 05:1405/18/24
12/30/20
harleQuinn

It nerfs many many champs, champs that people hunted for and spent for specifically due to their damage potential in Hydra.

I can't get behind semantics of "it changes the equation" when it clearly just nerfs the Hydra champs people spent to get. Bringing a champ or champs down to a lowest common denominator after someone purchases them, you negate those champ, and the hunt someone went through to get them.

I can't get behind semantics of "it changes the equation" when it clearly just nerfs the Hydra champs people spent to get. Bring a champ or champs down to a lowest common denominator after someone purchases them, you negate those champ, and the hunt someone went through to get them.

I also don't want someone nerfing Marius the Murdercorn to 10% after the months and months I'm going to spend getting him. No reason to ever get him at that point, nor play him over any of the other forced mediocre 10% champs.

Though it's not precisely the same, this does make me think back to the fun times Polymorph has had as it relegated large amounts of champions who were once good - or even great - to the bench due to turning into liabilities. 

May 18, 2024, 05:1705/18/24
May 18, 2024, 05:26(edited)
01/31/20
harleQuinn

Okay, I understand where you are coming from to a certain extent.  I have clanmates with Trunda and/or Togron, and implementing my proposal would negatively impact me in Hydra Clash to the tune of Billions. However, I still think it would improve the balance of the game mode.  

Virtually all late gamers will have Wixwell & Yannica soon enough, and then the race will be on to build the most potent Wixica Shield Comps.....I think that is a terrible recipe.

All that said, you have expressed your disagreement with my idea, but what is your counter proposal that promotes better balance?

Ciao,

harleQuinnModerator
May 18, 2024, 05:1705/18/24
02/24/19
dthorne04

Though it's not precisely the same, this does make me think back to the fun times Polymorph has had as it relegated large amounts of champions who were once good - or even great - to the bench due to turning into liabilities. 

I see what you mean. There is a lot lot lot of complaints about how Polymorph makes tons of champs "useless" now, yeah. People saw and see the introduction of those blessings as huge nerf to several previously meta champs.

Anyways, Plarium may chose to impose some sort of caps to damage, I don't know. I'm just explaining how I personally feel it isn't much different than nerfing a wide array of top tier champs directly.

May 18, 2024, 05:2505/18/24
May 18, 2024, 05:28(edited)
01/31/20
dthorne04

All of my original Arena toons got vaulted by the Stoneskin/Polymorph Meta and have never come back out.  

I do not think this proposed change to Hydra would do anything like that to the Top Hydra Damage Toons. Other aspects of Hydra stats could be adjusted so that the current Top Damage Toons are still the Top Damage Toons.  However, it makes absolutely no sense to have one or two comps be capable of 15X-20X the maximum damage of all other possible comps.  That is the very definiton of unbalanced.  

harleQuinnModerator
May 18, 2024, 05:3205/18/24
May 18, 2024, 05:52(edited)
02/24/19
WileyMan

Okay, I understand where you are coming from to a certain extent.  I have clanmates with Trunda and/or Togron, and implementing my proposal would negatively impact me in Hydra Clash to the tune of Billions. However, I still think it would improve the balance of the game mode.  

Virtually all late gamers will have Wixwell & Yannica soon enough, and then the race will be on to build the most potent Wixica Shield Comps.....I think that is a terrible recipe.

All that said, you have expressed your disagreement with my idea, but what is your counter proposal that promotes better balance?

Ciao,

Fortunately for me I don't have to come up with any ideas myself, I just pass on ideas from various socials and provide feedback on the ones that are passed back to me the other direction. :) 

I should say that not putting forth some other idea doesn't invalidate my concerns on nerfing champs. I worry for changes in the game that effectively nerf released champs, cause I've seen the riots over such things before. Can get crazy on the Discord and Facebook. Haha.

Additionally, I can be a little more coy in that my fave idea is in their hands and no spoilers in this case. 

I also really liked the idea of the game remembering your highest score to prevent tanking, clan hopping, etc... keeping people in the matchups they are supposed to be in. Clash is at it's worse when some Uberkraken drops into a bracket far below where they are supposed to be and solos all 4 other clans combined with a single key. Same for the tanking clans.

Lastly, as a player, I do think something needs to be done with Clash, I hope that's been abundantly clear over the months++.  And I provide a lot of feedback on this problem. Cause while I think I'm having an easier time than others, it's tough to keep clans together in the current Clash environment. 

May 18, 2024, 05:3805/18/24
12/18/19
harleQuinn

Fortunately for me I don't have to come up with any ideas myself, I just pass on ideas from various socials and provide feedback on the ones that are passed back to me the other direction. :) 

I should say that not putting forth some other idea doesn't invalidate my concerns on nerfing champs. I worry for changes in the game that effectively nerf released champs, cause I've seen the riots over such things before. Can get crazy on the Discord and Facebook. Haha.

Additionally, I can be a little more coy in that my fave idea is in their hands and no spoilers in this case. 

I also really liked the idea of the game remembering your highest score to prevent tanking, clan hopping, etc... keeping people in the matchups they are supposed to be in. Clash is at it's worse when some Uberkraken drops into a bracket far below where they are supposed to be and solos all 4 other clans combined with a single key. Same for the tanking clans.

Lastly, as a player, I do think something needs to be done with Clash, I hope that's been abundantly clear over the months++.  And I provide a lot of feedback on this problem. Cause while I think I'm having an easier time than others, it's tough to keep clans together in the current Clash environment. 

I didnt quite catch the last paragraph, can you repeat?

harleQuinnModerator
May 18, 2024, 05:3905/18/24
02/24/19
sharkium

I didnt quite catch the last paragraph, can you repeat?

Never!

May 18, 2024, 05:5405/18/24
May 19, 2024, 02:58(edited)
01/31/20
harleQuinn

This goes right back to what I said at the beginning. There is nothing that Plarium can do that will make everyone happy, but we don't need them to make us happy, we need them to deliver balance and protect that balance for the health of the game and the community.  They regularly piss us off and/or disappoint us about all kinds of stuff anyway.

If they somehow figure out a way to balance Hydra Clash w/o nerfing the OP comps, then they will still piss people off because nobody chased those toons and built those comps for bragging rights.  They did it to win the Clash Chests.     

May 18, 2024, 06:1205/18/24
12/18/19

If they just added rewards chests for 4th and 5th place like everyone wants, people wouldnt have the problem with damage in the first place i believe? I know i would be okay with things if say the 4th and 5th place chests gave just 1 and 2 items less, accordingly. There would still be incentive to win but if you do lose youve not wasted time for nothing.

Like thats one of the main issues actually, ballpark numbers coming, each clan dedicates ~50 hours a week give or take to hydra, 40% of the clans dont receive the clash chests, so in my eyes its like spitting in their face

harleQuinnModerator
May 18, 2024, 13:2005/18/24
02/24/19
sharkium

If they just added rewards chests for 4th and 5th place like everyone wants, people wouldnt have the problem with damage in the first place i believe? I know i would be okay with things if say the 4th and 5th place chests gave just 1 and 2 items less, accordingly. There would still be incentive to win but if you do lose youve not wasted time for nothing.

Like thats one of the main issues actually, ballpark numbers coming, each clan dedicates ~50 hours a week give or take to hydra, 40% of the clans dont receive the clash chests, so in my eyes its like spitting in their face

That is happening actually. 

Hydra Clash Participation Rewards have been announced and is on the development roadmap. :)

May 18, 2024, 14:1005/18/24
12/18/19

Ah noice!

May 18, 2024, 22:5305/18/24
11/16/20

Rewards for all 5 places is a good thing, but this is still my biggest gripe with hydra:

i