All Categories

Turn by Turn AI Mechanics (into the weeds)

Search
Mar 24, 2022, 12:5603/24/22
10/22/19

Turn by turn looks really, really good.  On FK, I've got it set to block Kreela's ally attack in round 2 so she can open it in round 3 and help get that shield down quickly!   That alone makes me happy with it.

But I'm unclear how some of the mechanics work when you get to turn 2 and some skills might still be on cooldown.  If you have a skill as an opener, and it is not available for the champions first turn, will they use it as soon as it becomes available?  Or will it go to your assigned priorities?

For wave clearing, I'd like to set up my champs to open with a specific skill then force them to use their A1's for the rest of the round.  That way if Seer doesn't clear completely and it takes a few turns to kill of the last enemy, my champs won't use up their A2's and A3's.  I do this by setting the desired skill as the opener, and then blocking the A2's and A3's.  Works great.

I'd like to do the same thing in Round 2, but I can't be absolutely sure where I will be on CD's coming in.  I'm using Renegade as my reset and Seer's A3 may or may not be off CD.  If I set Seer to open with A3 but then block it, what if A3 isn't available when she opens?  Will she never use it?  Or will she use it when it becomes available.

I can see some workarounds either way.  Just gotta know how it works.  

BTW, be sure to check your team setups.  It looks like it uses the same settings for each round which may NOT be what you want anymore.

Views
Comments
Comments
dthorne04Moderator
Mar 24, 2022, 19:3403/24/22
12/30/20

If you have a skill set as an opener priority and it's on cooldown, it will default to the in game AI unless you have other skills set as specific priorities after your opener, then revert to your chosen opener once that cooldown is up. That is what my testing has reflected, at least. 

Also +1 to to the check team setups, can create some wasted runs/energy otherwise. 

Mar 24, 2022, 19:3903/24/22
12/19/19
dthorne04

If you have a skill set as an opener priority and it's on cooldown, it will default to the in game AI unless you have other skills set as specific priorities after your opener, then revert to your chosen opener once that cooldown is up. That is what my testing has reflected, at least. 

Also +1 to to the check team setups, can create some wasted runs/energy otherwise. 

Interesting.  I would not have guessed that.  Assuming I am understanding you correctly.  

If I set as opener AND do not use, and it is on cooldown.  Will it use once off cooldown and then no more?

Or did my wishful thinking cloud my interpretation  :)

dthorne04Moderator
Mar 24, 2022, 19:4303/24/22
12/30/20
Trips

Interesting.  I would not have guessed that.  Assuming I am understanding you correctly.  

If I set as opener AND do not use, and it is on cooldown.  Will it use once off cooldown and then no more?

Actually wasn't looking that specific interpretation, lol. Was looking just for whether the opener would default back if on cooldown due to being used Wave 1, starting Wave 2 on cooldown etc. 

harleQuinnModerator
Mar 25, 2022, 11:5603/25/22
02/24/19
Trips

I think worth testing, as mind numbing as such as test would be to line up properly. Le sigh. lol

Mar 26, 2022, 02:0803/26/22
Mar 26, 2022, 02:10(edited)
02/13/21
harleQuinn

I think worth testing, as mind numbing as such as test would be to line up properly. Le sigh. lol

I have just done a quick test now.  I recorded a video that can be checked at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TndIL4QunNk.  I set it up with the following which I thought would be a good way to validate it

• I am using Fu Shan as my test champion.  His A2 is on a 3 turn cool down
  • I am running Brutal 12-6
  • I set his AI for Round 1 to open with his A2
  • I set his AI for Round 2 to open with his A2, and also to not use A2.  I also disabled his A3 as I want him to do single target attacks to get his A2 off cooldown
  • I started the stage.  He opened with his A2 as expected and cleared the wave immediately
  • On wave 2, he only ever did single attacks.  After a couple of single attack his A2 was off cooldown, but he never used it.  I double checked this multiple times by taking the auto off briefly to check the skill cooldown status, and then toggling it back on

In summary, the opener AI setting only takes effect on the opening turn of that round, after which all other AI settings will take precedence.  If the skill is on cooldown then it won't be used.

Another note that I think is worth mentioning.  I ran the test again with his Round 1 AI set to open with A2 and also never use A2.  The open setting takes precedence and he still uses A2 immediately

harleQuinnModerator
Mar 26, 2022, 10:1403/26/22
02/24/19
RoseRoyal

I have just done a quick test now.  I recorded a video that can be checked at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TndIL4QunNk.  I set it up with the following which I thought would be a good way to validate it

• I am using Fu Shan as my test champion.  His A2 is on a 3 turn cool down
  • I am running Brutal 12-6
  • I set his AI for Round 1 to open with his A2
  • I set his AI for Round 2 to open with his A2, and also to not use A2.  I also disabled his A3 as I want him to do single target attacks to get his A2 off cooldown
  • I started the stage.  He opened with his A2 as expected and cleared the wave immediately
  • On wave 2, he only ever did single attacks.  After a couple of single attack his A2 was off cooldown, but he never used it.  I double checked this multiple times by taking the auto off briefly to check the skill cooldown status, and then toggling it back on

In summary, the opener AI setting only takes effect on the opening turn of that round, after which all other AI settings will take precedence.  If the skill is on cooldown then it won't be used.

Another note that I think is worth mentioning.  I ran the test again with his Round 1 AI set to open with A2 and also never use A2.  The open setting takes precedence and he still uses A2 immediately

Thank you for checking on this Rose. Good information to have at the ready, especially with the video.

I appreciate you! :)