All Categories

What do you do with rares?

Search
Feb 14, 2022, 16:3002/14/22
01/23/22

I'm just wondering if everyone keeps all their rares or not?  Originally, I was going to keep everything, especially for faction wars, but I'm quickly running out of room and they're barely getting me past level 1 or 2 in FW so I'm now questioning if I should keep everything.

I'm thinking now I keep fusion champs and any that have AOE skills, but if all their skills only attack one, I can use them as food.  Does that make sense or should I keep them all and take the time and resources to level them up?  Or is there even a smaller list of one I should keep from the list below? 

i

Views
Comments
Comments
Feb 14, 2022, 16:5402/14/22
06/25/20

There are a handful of rares that you should definitely hold on to, just in case you need them. These are:

• Metalshaper (for DT Scarab)
  • Master Butcher (for DT Bommal)
  • Reliquary Tender (for DT Poison boss whose name I forget)
  • Bellower (for some of the DT secret rooms)
  • Coldheart (several places)

Beyond those, any of the ones used for Rhazin fusion you should hold on to - you don't need to actually do the leveling/fusing yet, but you'll want to eventually. You may also want to hold on to the pieces for fusing Broadmaw, as he may end up being necessary for Faction Wars.

For the rest of them, there are two schools of thought. Personally, I hold on to one copy of every rare/epic champ, just in case they end up being useful at some point. I also have all of my rare guardian hall guardians filled. I find that the potential value outweighs the ~70 energy that it would otherwise cost me to make a level 1 3* champ from 2* uncommons (for food).

But that's just my personal preference. Others choose to keep only the ones I identified earlier, in favour of saving inventory/vault space and speeding up their progression.

Which you choose is up to you. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Feb 14, 2022, 17:2202/14/22
Feb 14, 2022, 17:31(edited)
02/14/21

It really depends where your account is at, as some rares can really help in early account but lose ground quickly.

Feb 14, 2022, 19:1302/14/22
06/19/17

I would add a few more to the handfull of good rares.

Gnarlhorn

Soulbound Bowyer (for DT secret rooms)

Apothecary

Also you migth struggle with good skinwalkers for faction wars

So for that purpose only you might hang on to

Fleshmonger

Grappler

Feb 14, 2022, 19:2302/14/22
06/25/20

To be clear - what I meant with those specific champs is, even endgame players may, at times, use them. There may very well be other rare champs that are worth leveling for your specific situation, OP - as Minin and drone indicated.

Feb 14, 2022, 20:1802/14/22
Feb 14, 2022, 21:41(edited)
04/12/21

I have sifted through the family of rares of all kinds, several times, and they keep coming out with new ones.  So just when you start building on some, some juicy new one may come along and interrupt your progress. From your picture you have a whole bunch of decent ones and some poor ones. How do you figure the good from the bad? 

What I do is look at ratings, which realize is just some peoples' opinions. You can get input from the in-game ratings, which may involve a few to many thousands of opinions. I also recommend ayumilove.net which has tons of info on pretty much every champ in the game, and not just for rares. Not everyone likes either of those methods.  But until you can develop your own criteria for what you keep and build those are good starting points.

So first cut, I would take your roster and run them through those resources, and make a first cut at what you prefer to keep.  There are uses for general purpose, and ones good for certain locations that are bad most everywhere else. Obviously you can't develop everything, even trying to make a faction team for each faction is a long process.

And there are a bunch of others sub-rare that can be useful, ones like armiger, monk, shieldguard, etc.

I wish you well with it. Staying focussed on ones you start with is important. It is easy for us to drop names for you, but learning to select your own seems more important.

Feb 14, 2022, 21:1302/14/22
01/23/22

Thanks for all the sggestions everyone.  I'll probably do just a little trimming, but honestly I dont know when I'll ever upgrade them.  I have at least 3 epics I want to get to 60 and who knows what I'll pull between now and then.  I guess if I have the space I'll keep them but if space is needed its chow time!  lol

Feb 14, 2022, 21:1902/14/22
02/14/21
ObsideonRipper

Thanks for all the sggestions everyone.  I'll probably do just a little trimming, but honestly I dont know when I'll ever upgrade them.  I have at least 3 epics I want to get to 60 and who knows what I'll pull between now and then.  I guess if I have the space I'll keep them but if space is needed its chow time!  lol

Thats the spirit 😁

harleQuinnModerator
Feb 15, 2022, 00:0002/15/22
02/24/19

The combined list from Krama and Drone is what I would try and keep. Everything else I would be using as needed to get my 60s. Rares are mostly chickens, even for early accounts. And frankly, I always treat campaign farmable rares as food. In the rare case where you find some piece of content comes out where a Templar or Heiress or Gnarlhorn would be awesome, can always farm one. :)

Feb 15, 2022, 01:1302/15/22
02/14/21
harleQuinn

The combined list from Krama and Drone is what I would try and keep. Everything else I would be using as needed to get my 60s. Rares are mostly chickens, even for early accounts. And frankly, I always treat campaign farmable rares as food. In the rare case where you find some piece of content comes out where a Templar or Heiress or Gnarlhorn would be awesome, can always farm one. :)

This is what I do but then that Murphy guy shows up and messes with everything 😀😣

harleQuinnModerator
Feb 15, 2022, 01:2802/15/22
02/24/19
Minin

This is what I do but then that Murphy guy shows up and messes with everything 😀😣

Murphy's Law will getcha every time! lol

Early on in Doom Tower and Frost Spider days I crunched an Armiger right before Doom Tower opened, like the week before. The choice was to make HIM a 6 or feed him to make someone else a 6. I also used my other HP burner rare that was literally useless. except for a single target HP burn,

I had to check the market every single hour  for a new Armiger cause I immediately got stuck on Frost Spider. No HP burn, no block revive. And I for sure wasn't building my Painsmith.

Made some MISTAKES when I first tried Doom Tower. lol

Feb 15, 2022, 02:1802/15/22
01/23/22
harleQuinn

Murphy's Law will getcha every time! lol

Early on in Doom Tower and Frost Spider days I crunched an Armiger right before Doom Tower opened, like the week before. The choice was to make HIM a 6 or feed him to make someone else a 6. I also used my other HP burner rare that was literally useless. except for a single target HP burn,

I had to check the market every single hour  for a new Armiger cause I immediately got stuck on Frost Spider. No HP burn, no block revive. And I for sure wasn't building my Painsmith.

Made some MISTAKES when I first tried Doom Tower. lol

So you're saying I shouldn't feed this guy?

i

Feb 15, 2022, 02:5502/15/22
05/13/19

2  heroes worth  considering can  be

-  Grinner 

-  Conqueror

Undead  Horde  only  have  like  2  revive  heroes  (Gorgorab &  Siphi)

Sometimes,  people use  Grinner  as  the  3rd  revive  option  if  they  are  unlucky  in  shard  pulls

Banner  Lords  faction  has  a  very  annoying  Stage  21  Boss  who  does  ressurection.

Conqueror  is  like  the  only  Block  Revive  in  the  faction.

Feb 15, 2022, 02:5902/15/22
10/15/20

You can allwyas get a new one from the market or green shards. But this guy is worth building. The turnmeter reduce on the A1 makes him a good champ for Spider dungeon, Fireknight, Scarab King boss in Doomtower and other places. 

Most players will build a lvl 60 Armiger at some point, I still use mine at Spider 20 and in my Scarab King team.

dthorne04Moderator
Feb 15, 2022, 03:1502/15/22
12/30/20
ObsideonRipper

i

Definitely keep at least one copy of Armiger, if not 2. Use copies you get from mystery shards or the market to book him out. 

Feb 15, 2022, 03:2602/15/22
01/23/22

Damn, glad this came up,, I was literally minutes from making him chow!  Any other uncommon/commons that are useful near end game?

Feb 15, 2022, 03:2602/15/22
01/02/22

Ive  been  hanging  on  to  them.  Mostly  for  dupes  as  faction  guardians.  In  faction  wars  theyll  need  to  be  leveled  to  get  past  the  first  boss  at  stage  6  and  by  that  time  should  have  some  epics  and  still  ive  only  beaten  bosses  for  factions  ive  got  1  or  more  5  or  6  rank  people  from my  main  team.  Rewards  below  the  first  boss  only  fuse  3-4  star  gear  which  by  all  accounts  arent  keepers.  

Even  my  factions  with  filled  guardian  rings  ,  im  still  hoarding  them.  Even  recently  haalf  leveled  and  equipped  some  rares  to  replace  other  fw  rares  i  felt  were  a  bit  better  or  had  some  skill.  Probably  a  bit  of  a  waste  though.  I  only  give  them  lvl  8  gear  but  im  sure  the  xp  and  silver  could  be  better  spent.  Aside  from  checking  off  the  advance  quest  i  barely  do  fw  anyway  even  when  its  one  of  my  stronger  factions.  

ill  probably  do  more  trimming  at  some  point.  Some  you  can  tell  their  skills  arent  worth  much.  if  one  skill  just  boosts  his  own  stat  and  the  other  has  a  chance  of  stun  or  something lackluster then  theyre  never  going  to  be  needed.  Ill  probably  still  only  eat  things  ive  got  the  guardian  ring  already  filled  though.

dthorne04Moderator
Feb 15, 2022, 03:4802/15/22
12/30/20
ObsideonRipper

Damn, glad this came up,, I was literally minutes from making him chow!  Any other uncommon/commons that are useful near end game?

No, not really. You will see some content creator videos with champions like Outrider and Shieldguard (this one MIGHT be the exception but I honestly wouldn't bother). 

Armiger I still use about 14 months in on certain hard Doom Tower boss fights, for example. 

I think a lot of us ate our Armigers at some point, though good chance you would get a bunch more before you felt too bad about it. :)

harleQuinnModerator
Feb 15, 2022, 04:5902/15/22
02/24/19
ObsideonRipper

Armiger got a TON of use for me for the last two years. Just a bonkers champ.

I literally just pulled Alure during this fusion though, so she is my new Bad B of Turn Meter decrease.

Other than that. no other recommendations outside of MAYBE Shieldguard (I wouldn't bother with him though).

Mar 17, 2023, 18:2603/17/23
Mar 17, 2023, 18:29(edited)
08/10/22

It's been a year, but I still will add a comment bc I feel like some rares are missing. You'll want to keep a Fellhound should you get him, and definitely keep Grinner as well. I leveled Grinner to 50, with plenty of HP, and Def ofc, and speed, and used him in arena. He took me all the way through silver and only recently did I replace him with Scyl. And I'll still be using him in Tag and ofc FW. He's really good, underrated I think. Also as I'm sure we know, keep all starters u get. There are several others not mentioned here - I would check Ash's site on YouTube, he lists a few.