All Categories

New player impressions

New player impressions

Search
May 30, 2021, 19:1605/30/21
05/22/21

New player impressions

Hiya :)

Started playing couple of days ago, loving the turn based system and artwork so far, been playing Arknights and Tales of Erin a lot, some things I noticed and general advice would be nice to have.

1) Total player power - game literary wants you to boost it with faction wars, missions with equiping artifacts and so on, yet as far as I understand, you should keep it low for arena battles as the higher yout get, the worse matchmaking you have?

Sounds like not well thought out game design reading forums, of course people will always complain, but lot of complaints seem on point so far, and the whole arena rework makes it look like there might be a problem wth it?

2 )Shop offer spamming and pricing - very agressive whenever you log in, you get several popups with offers - this is probably the worst I seen so far in gacha games. Prices are unreasonably high as well 20+ bucks for a 6% chance of getting legendary seem harsh?

On top of that consecutive bundles with not telling middle prices, only showing first and last feels like manipulating in a way.

I did buy one of the first packs for half price which dropped me legendary - possibly first bought summon is scripted to make people spend more? I hardly believe I got lucky.

3) Which boils down to 3rd question - is it enjoyable to play as f2p? How long does it take to get anywhere close to competitive? The shop is trying to milk players way too hard, are there f2p players enjoying it? (excluding mods or staff, as they would be biased, sorry :)

Any other general advices?

Views
Comments
Comments
May 30, 2021, 19:2705/30/21
May 30, 2021, 19:28(edited)
01/04/20

I  didn't  get  my  first  legendary  for  months  despite  opening  my  shards  as  I  got  them  because  I  was  dumb.

Also,  I  have  a  f2p  account  and  it  has  far  easier  tounrament  groups.  I  was  able  to  win  one  of  the  best  legendaries  over  christmas  because  no  one  else  was  really  trying.  

May 30, 2021, 19:3905/30/21
01/15/21

Hiya and welcome to the game

1) Yes arena matchmaking is silly, and yes raising player power will give you harder matches but from what i have read bronze and silver have recently got easier anyway

2) Yes the prices are insane, i dont understand why people pay the price of a new car or holiday on a mobile game but you dont have to buy- i notice that as i havent bought anything in ages my offers are better. Yes the chained offers where they dont show the next price are a con, im not even sure they are legal in the EU

The 9.99 monthly gem pack (2140 gems for 9.99) is probably the best value.

3) I have been FTP for a while, i have clanmates that spend a fair bit of cash and some use it to advance much further than me. However some have so many top tier champs that they struggle to focus on one properly! Whether ftp or pay to win you still will have to grind to win.

Hard to say how long it takes to progress since how do you measure progress? I am 6 months in and have been able to hit the hardest dungeon (unltra nightmare clanboss) since about 4 months in...but i am nowhere near the top arena tiers.

May 30, 2021, 20:0805/30/21
02/14/21

Welcome to the grind

I would sugest find a the utube vids by Ash and ell hades for beginers some really good tips

Like do not spend gems on upgrading the xps Sparring pit.

The second best suggestion get your starter hero to 60 ASAP and ignore the mission, if you start on the missions at some point you will get hung up.

May 30, 2021, 20:1505/30/21
06/25/20
Minin

Welcome to the grind

I would sugest find a the utube vids by Ash and ell hades for beginers some really good tips

Like do not spend gems on upgrading the xps Sparring pit.

The second best suggestion get your starter hero to 60 ASAP and ignore the mission, if you start on the missions at some point you will get hung up.

I find that a strange suggestion. I have the sparring pit fully upgraded - it was the second thing I spent gems on, after maxing the mine. I do not regret it at all - it effectively translates into doubling the amount of free energy I get.

But yes, I do suggest you look up stuff - Ayumilove has a great beginner guide.

With respect to FTP - I am 100% FTP, the only "money" I spent was signing up for the one week free trial of the raid card, which I cancelled after the free trial was over. I will admit I benefited from the bots in arena to get myself into Gold 4 and get Arbiter, but I also had basically progressed through the rest of the game before reaching that anyway - so while Arbiter is making things easier and faster, I would argue it hasn't really let me progress to stages I couldn't have otherwise reached.

One thing I will say - this game heavily rewards those who are able to do the math and figure out what the most efficient way of doing things is. If you're not the type to enjoy doing that sort of thing, you may find your progression slowed as a consequence.

May 30, 2021, 20:5305/30/21
02/14/21
kramaswamy.kr

I find that a strange suggestion. I have the sparring pit fully upgraded - it was the second thing I spent gems on, after maxing the mine. I do not regret it at all - it effectively translates into doubling the amount of free energy I get.

But yes, I do suggest you look up stuff - Ayumilove has a great beginner guide.

With respect to FTP - I am 100% FTP, the only "money" I spent was signing up for the one week free trial of the raid card, which I cancelled after the free trial was over. I will admit I benefited from the bots in arena to get myself into Gold 4 and get Arbiter, but I also had basically progressed through the rest of the game before reaching that anyway - so while Arbiter is making things easier and faster, I would argue it hasn't really let me progress to stages I couldn't have otherwise reached.

One thing I will say - this game heavily rewards those who are able to do the math and figure out what the most efficient way of doing things is. If you're not the type to enjoy doing that sort of thing, you may find your progression slowed as a consequence.

I did too, but in the vid they call it a noob trap to waste gems like that 😁.

The other big thing is do not use the in game rating it will tell you almost every hero is good and they are not.

I find this web site super useful RAID: Shadow Legends Guide | AyumiLove 

Oh the other thing is as a new player save your ancient, Void and Sacred shards for the 2X weekends

May 30, 2021, 22:1605/30/21
May 30, 2021, 22:29(edited)
05/22/21

Thanks a lot for replies :)

Hit level 30 and managed to get to silver IV in arena. Has to be due to me having low power.

Gem pack suggestion might be good one, the level progression ones seemed way too overpriced, beginner for 50 and advanced for 100$ o.o

Havent upgraded sparring pit and seems like i wont - feels way more efficient to level up champions in campaign stages? Also seems best way to get money and exp per energy used?

Did level up gem mine to level 3 and that's about it.

May 30, 2021, 22:2705/30/21
06/25/20

What I'll say regarding the things they provide you to buy is - if you want to spend money on this game, there will be *plenty* of opportunities.

I haven't analyzed the different purchase options because I don't buy anything. But speaking as an end-game player, if I *were* to buy stuff, the ones I'd favour would be those that give Legendary tomes. Shards are nice, and during 2x events they can certainly give you a boost, but shards are random, and the nature of randomness is such that you'll often find you spent a bunch of money with no real return to show.

Legendary tomes on the other hand, will always provide you a guaranteed return on investment, provided you use them appropriately. You could give me a hundred of them, and I'd still want more.

May 30, 2021, 22:4605/30/21
May 30, 2021, 22:49(edited)
05/22/21
kramaswamy.kr

What I'll say regarding the things they provide you to buy is - if you want to spend money on this game, there will be *plenty* of opportunities.

I haven't analyzed the different purchase options because I don't buy anything. But speaking as an end-game player, if I *were* to buy stuff, the ones I'd favour would be those that give Legendary tomes. Shards are nice, and during 2x events they can certainly give you a boost, but shards are random, and the nature of randomness is such that you'll often find you spent a bunch of money with no real return to show.

Legendary tomes on the other hand, will always provide you a guaranteed return on investment, provided you use them appropriately. You could give me a hundred of them, and I'd still want more.

Thanks and true that, those progression rewards and shards in general seem rather bad value - given the randomness most likely you would end up disappointed.

So it seems the best bet to get legendaries are from completing chain missions? Is there anything I'm missing?

May 30, 2021, 23:1505/30/21
04/14/20

Sounds like you're getting the hang of it quickly - playing efficiently will pay off more over the long run than spending but playing inefficiently, unless you spend truly crazy amounts. Compared to other gacha games, not only are the prices high here, but it's possible to spend a lot of money for virtually no reward, due to the RNG nature of not only shard pulling, but also gear (you can buy legendary 6* speed set gear, for a lot of money, then find that it's trash and not usable at all because it has the wrong stats). As others have said, gems and skill books are the best purchases, largely because at least you know what you're paying for (even if skill books are unfortunately assigned to a random skill when you use them on a champion, so there is still some RNG involved). 

Just out of curiosity, which legendary was it that you got? And no, it's certainly not the case that new players who spend for the first time are very likely to get a lego, you just got lucky I guess.

May 30, 2021, 23:5005/30/21
05/22/21
L9753

Sounds like you're getting the hang of it quickly - playing efficiently will pay off more over the long run than spending but playing inefficiently, unless you spend truly crazy amounts. Compared to other gacha games, not only are the prices high here, but it's possible to spend a lot of money for virtually no reward, due to the RNG nature of not only shard pulling, but also gear (you can buy legendary 6* speed set gear, for a lot of money, then find that it's trash and not usable at all because it has the wrong stats). As others have said, gems and skill books are the best purchases, largely because at least you know what you're paying for (even if skill books are unfortunately assigned to a random skill when you use them on a champion, so there is still some RNG involved). 

Just out of curiosity, which legendary was it that you got? And no, it's certainly not the case that new players who spend for the first time are very likely to get a lego, you just got lucky I guess.

Ohh I kind of realized getting speed boots without basic speed stats makes the whole deal kind of worthless no matter what rarity they are. Was grinding the speed event from dragon without much of luck sadly :(

I got Suzerain Katonn, seems great for campaign. Have 2 poison sets to swap for clan boss, those help a lot, but swapping gear every time is costly :(

Will try to ascend him to be able to remove the shield buff boss casts in magic keep. It already helps a lot with spirit keep debuffing the heal :)

Looks like made mistake at start picking Elhain over Kael, as Elhain apparently doesn't pull her weight at endgame? From what I have read at least it sounds like so : (

Still couldn't resist as I have soft spot when it comes to elves with bows, and it just felt right to revive her after seeing her getting eaten by dragon in the tutorial : )

May 31, 2021, 00:0405/31/21
07/05/19

You join at an end of life phase mobile game, where it's now just trying to milk their players as much as possible.

Try to get to account level 60 being an F2P, if you can handle that, I think you'll be fine. As for the details of what needs to be done, others have better suggestions than I do. My only suggestion, don't be tempted to spend more than $5 a month for this game...

May 31, 2021, 00:2305/31/21
May 31, 2021, 00:27(edited)
05/22/21
lee.ozz.0213

You join at an end of life phase mobile game, where it's now just trying to milk their players as much as possible.

Try to get to account level 60 being an F2P, if you can handle that, I think you'll be fine. As for the details of what needs to be done, others have better suggestions than I do. My only suggestion, don't be tempted to spend more than $5 a month for this game...

That might be very well true, but remember yourself when you first discovered the game and how you felt about it :) That is how I feel right now.

And yes, I won't spend too much on it, the sell offers seem way too agressive :D

May 31, 2021, 01:3005/31/21
06/22/19

1. Player Power. Arena matches that is proportion to player power is actually more fair. If you think that you get "harder" matches because you are hoarding champions, what makes you think other players are not doing the same, right? so basically, let's say, you have 500k effective player power and it was boosted to 1M because of hoarding of champions. Other players in your matches are in the same situation too, they are probably at the same effective player power like you have.

2. Shop. It is fine. It will go away when you bought all of them lol just kidding.

3.  honestly, You Can enjoy this as an f2p player if you are not rushing into finishing all you missions. 

May 31, 2021, 02:2005/31/21
07/05/19
Aute

That might be very well true, but remember yourself when you first discovered the game and how you felt about it :) That is how I feel right now.

And yes, I won't spend too much on it, the sell offers seem way too agressive :D

Maybe it's my old player goggles, but the Raid I found 1+ years ago, is a different game than the Raid today, it was a time sink back then, but it's almost like a job (that doesn't pay) today.

I have to admit, it has a solid gameplay and great character design for a mobile game, but I have to say the game has a very poor QoL (quality of life) features, features that are standard to other games of the genre. I have been laying these kind of games since they were on Facebook games (I bet a lot of people here didn't know that Facebook used to host games like these), so I kinda feel the cycle of games like these.

But hey, you have fun, don't let other people including me, telling you otherwise, discover the game for yourself, it's a mobile game afterall, once you had enough, there's plenty others in the app store to replace it.

Cheers!

May 31, 2021, 09:3805/31/21
04/14/20
Aute

Ohh I kind of realized getting speed boots without basic speed stats makes the whole deal kind of worthless no matter what rarity they are. Was grinding the speed event from dragon without much of luck sadly :(

I got Suzerain Katonn, seems great for campaign. Have 2 poison sets to swap for clan boss, those help a lot, but swapping gear every time is costly :(

Will try to ascend him to be able to remove the shield buff boss casts in magic keep. It already helps a lot with spirit keep debuffing the heal :)

Looks like made mistake at start picking Elhain over Kael, as Elhain apparently doesn't pull her weight at endgame? From what I have read at least it sounds like so : (

Still couldn't resist as I have soft spot when it comes to elves with bows, and it just felt right to revive her after seeing her getting eaten by dragon in the tutorial : )

Yeah, boots should basically always have speed as main stat, since they are the only gear item that *can* have speed as main stat - much more important than what set bonus they have.  

Suzerain is indeed a great campaign farmer, will also help a lot in arena and some dungeons. Not an absolute top tier legendary, but a very nice pull. He's not very good on clan boss though, nearly all of his abilities are kinda wasted there except for the weaken/decrease defense, but that doesn't have a very good chance to apply. You can probably use him there temporarily, like Elhain, but neither are long term CB champions. 

As for Elhain being a mistake, eh, not really, Kael isn't used in endgame anymore either. He does make some parts of early game a bit easier because of his poisons, but on the plus side, Elhain is easier to gear (no need to worry about accuracy) and has two AOE hits rather than one. However, since you have Suzerain, you should probably make him your first 6* instead of Elhain and he'll replace her in the campaign farming role. 

Jun 10, 2021, 16:1006/10/21
05/22/21

Hey again and thanks for all the great tips so far, especially for the ayumilove site kramaswamy.kr !

Did go ahead and bought daily gem pack so i was able to max out masteries on main char - warmaster skill does help a lot vs clan boss :)

Gonna grind slowly for my next lvl60 char, sure takes time :)

Suppose once I get High Khatun, I should try building for speed in arena? Trying to get good speed boots for everyone by grinding dragon is going to take forever :(

Maybe it is better idea to go for speed stat campaign boots for short to mid term objective? Farming dragon you surely get better ones, but that might take months to drop decent ones?

I'm stuck in Silver IV with around 180 speed on average, when a lot of people are saying you'd be 200+ at least to be able to get to Gold league.

Thanks!

Jun 10, 2021, 16:2006/10/21
Jun 10, 2021, 16:25(edited)
04/05/21

Could you also share your roster?

Also another couple of tips;

Join the raid: shadow legends discord and hop directly into the raid school tab. Also; if you are looking for a clan, dm me, and l will send you an invite to the discord. The cluster is great warriors and it has 3 clans. We're all like a big family so if you have any questions just ask us! :)

Jun 10, 2021, 16:2206/10/21
06/25/20

They've added bots back in, so honestly, I wouldn't even really bother with an arena team. There is absolutely zero chance you'll be able to win against any actual opponents at your current arena level. However, the bots are effortless to beat, so you really have no incentive at all to work on an arena team right now.

That being said, Khatun is amazing everywhere (except for CB). She is 100% worth building up, the extra speed is amazing in dungeons.

If you actually want to talk competitive arena teams, at the gold level you're probably talking 250+ speed for your lead, and likely requiring a second speed booster like Apothecary to have an actual chance. And even then, you'll need two reasonably strong follow-up champs, since those first two don't provide any ATK boost to your team.

Jun 10, 2021, 16:4006/10/21
04/05/21
Aute

Hey again and thanks for all the great tips so far, especially for the ayumilove site kramaswamy.kr !

Did go ahead and bought daily gem pack so i was able to max out masteries on main char - warmaster skill does help a lot vs clan boss :)

Gonna grind slowly for my next lvl60 char, sure takes time :)

Suppose once I get High Khatun, I should try building for speed in arena? Trying to get good speed boots for everyone by grinding dragon is going to take forever :(

Maybe it is better idea to go for speed stat campaign boots for short to mid term objective? Farming dragon you surely get better ones, but that might take months to drop decent ones?

I'm stuck in Silver IV with around 180 speed on average, when a lot of people are saying you'd be 200+ at least to be able to get to Gold league.

Thanks!

You don't actually need 200 speed. You can easily survive at half of that on the bot teams. lIke @kramaswamy.kr said, you'll need extra attack + speed if you want to be successful. Is your elhain already 6*? I'm not sure because you wrote "another 6*". If she is you already have one and the second can be taken up by your Jizoh. If you don't already have him you get him in a couple of days. You can provoke the enemy team healer/reviver with his A3 and then you can destroy the enemies with your Elhain. This is the basic strategy; it almost always works for teams 10k points above my level. 

A lot of luck!

Jun 10, 2021, 17:1006/10/21
Jun 10, 2021, 17:40(edited)
05/22/21
kramaswamy.kr

They've added bots back in, so honestly, I wouldn't even really bother with an arena team. There is absolutely zero chance you'll be able to win against any actual opponents at your current arena level. However, the bots are effortless to beat, so you really have no incentive at all to work on an arena team right now.

That being said, Khatun is amazing everywhere (except for CB). She is 100% worth building up, the extra speed is amazing in dungeons.

If you actually want to talk competitive arena teams, at the gold level you're probably talking 250+ speed for your lead, and likely requiring a second speed booster like Apothecary to have an actual chance. And even then, you'll need two reasonably strong follow-up champs, since those first two don't provide any ATK boost to your team.

Oh, I see, 250 do sounds overwhelming, on top of that I have to speed tune chars with them having all that speed to go in current order. Seems quite a way to go :(

i

I use first 4, Elhain and Arcanist has full speed set, Uugo mostly immortal with some speed pieces.

Arcanist was fine due to ascended skill giving crit rate on top of attack boost and backup short cd heals, but now I do get ~85% crit rate unbuffed, so I suppose she goes when I get High Khatun.

Maybe was mistake to enchant vampiric set to 16, but boots had speed substat and it has helped me a lot farming campaign, and I even started to get random defensive victories in arena o/

I still think this is due to me being new player as I keep hearing if I get my total power better, arena will became absolute hell no matter what tier you're in?

P.S. Edit: either I am doing something wrong but I can't PM you @Dark Sovereign 193 . Clicking "Message" does nothing?

I would love to join some new player friendly clan with having eventual clan chat, I joined one randomly but it feels a little bit dead.