All Categories

Arena matchmaking mystery - defence vs offence

Search
May 25, 2021, 13:3605/25/21
11/10/20

Plarium, I'm really interested to understand how the current matchmaking system is working.

As I can't understand why on defence side I'm keep winning even I put only two champions - I'm not gaining anything other than keep my tier. But on offence side I'm facing lots of Arbiter team and I'm so frustrated to win and get medals. Clearly something is going on in background to make this happen, not just by bad luck, correct?

See my defence team today:

i

And I won 19 battles on defence side in a row in last 6 hours with kind of team below:

i

And when I tried to do offence battle and gain something, this is the teams I'm facing:

i

Views
Comments
Comments
May 25, 2021, 14:1405/25/21
12/19/19

That is mind-boggling, I feel like I am missing something or I should be using Brago more :) I say that because based on your champ power you don't have absurdly high resistance (my duchess is 65-70k, and I have seen 100k+ lol) .  Now attacking you  with all force is not smart, and apothecary as arena lead not smart, and I can see team 3 giving up in a stalemate. Surprised the lyssandra team lost though.  In G4, my duchess team with 4 only wins 10-20% of time.  And usually the attacker will win on 2nd or 3rd try... 

More surprising is that you aren't seeing any defeats mixed in.

May 25, 2021, 14:2005/25/21
11/10/20
Trips

That is mind-boggling, I feel like I am missing something or I should be using Brago more :) I say that because based on your champ power you don't have absurdly high resistance (my duchess is 65-70k, and I have seen 100k+ lol) .  Now attacking you  with all force is not smart, and apothecary as arena lead not smart, and I can see team 3 giving up in a stalemate. Surprised the lyssandra team lost though.  In G4, my duchess team with 4 only wins 10-20% of time.  And usually the attacker will win on 2nd or 3rd try... 

More surprising is that you aren't seeing any defeats mixed in.

My Brago is not even booked with not high resistance. My Duchess is not even lv 60 yet with pretty low resistance as well. I'm surprised with the results myself. How come I won those battles?

May 25, 2021, 14:2205/25/21
01/19/21

I have no idea what they did, but they sure did something. I've been leaving a single Seeker on the team and yet have had to wait for hours to even get attacked. Record so far was a bit over 8h just after the patch, and yesterday it was at least 5h before I went to bed. I did drop from G1 to S3 overnight, so at least I got some attacks during those ~8h of sleep, but I can't possibly have shown up for matchmaking prior to that because it's not like a single Seeker is that scary to S4/G1 teams.  Oh, and I'm back in G1 now, with my solo Seeker defense, waiting to drop.

I'm not sure if they think this is helping people or not, but if anything, it's probably just going to make things worse. I'd rather be able to easily farm my medals at a lower tier than being forced up to a higher one.

May 25, 2021, 14:4605/25/21
01/15/21

Its going in cycles, i had ten straight wins on defence this morning- but my log now shows 8 losses on the trot in defence

It could be natural / coincidence but doesnt look it.

I am frequently losing the speed race again now at 292 speed so not getting medals.

May 25, 2021, 14:4905/25/21
06/25/20

I can certainly say I'm not facing this problem in Gold 4. I'll admit I don't have many losses, and the wins easily compensate for them (likely the nuclear deterrent of seeing my team with two speed champs and Arbiter lead makes them just not want to risk it), but I certainly have more than you do, and have very few defence wins in comparison.

My guess is that at your rating, there are simply more people who think they can handle your team, and either aren't aware of how to properly build their own, or aren't aware of the limitations of their teams.

May 25, 2021, 14:5005/25/21
06/25/20
Trevor Wilson

Its going in cycles, i had ten straight wins on defence this morning- but my log now shows 8 losses on the trot in defence

It could be natural / coincidence but doesnt look it.

I am frequently losing the speed race again now at 292 speed so not getting medals.

Yeah - I have found that the bar has been raised considerably lately. I'm running 305 speed on my Arbiter, and find that about 25% of the speed race fights I end up losing, whereas in the past I'd win closer to like 90% of them.

May 25, 2021, 14:5405/25/21
11/10/20

Plarium, look at this - Silver III, I'm facing 8 teams with Arbiters. How can I beat all those Arbiter teams to complete the mission to get my Arbiter?

I'm also crious to know - how do they get their Arbiters? I'm at level 75, day 199. How do all those players with similar level as I am get their Arbiters? Are they all whales? or are they all extremly lucky to pull Arbiter by shards?

i

i

i

May 25, 2021, 14:5605/25/21
May 25, 2021, 14:56(edited)
06/25/20

You're facing the unfortunate consequence of the bots that they had placed earlier. Gold 4 is *much* more competitive now, which means there are a lot of teams that are being pushed down to lower ranks. I expect many of those have since become inactive, and will slowly be removed from the pool.

To answer your other question - they all got Arbiters because (like me), they benefited from bots making it far easier to get into Gold 4. And unfortunately they are now dropping down.

You're also seeing a changing meta. Almost every one of the teams in your screenshots have only a single speed lead. The meta is now to run two speed leads, and two speed leads absolutely wipe the floor with a single speed lead team.

May 25, 2021, 15:0205/25/21
11/10/20

LOL, Thanks for letting me know.

On the other topic "COMPLETELY TIRED OF YOUR BS PLARIUM - ARENA RANT" they just said "A bit of myth-breaking here - there were never bots on the Arena. " 

I'm just speechless now.

May 25, 2021, 15:1205/25/21
11/10/20

It is just so frustrating to see that you win a lot on defence battles and got nothing.

And you loss a lot on offence battles and got nothing as well. 

May 25, 2021, 15:1305/25/21
06/25/20
davidmao7612

LOL, Thanks for letting me know.

On the other topic "COMPLETELY TIRED OF YOUR BS PLARIUM - ARENA RANT" they just said "A bit of myth-breaking here - there were never bots on the Arena. " 

I'm just speechless now.

By "they", do you mean Plarium? I doubt they'll officially ever admit to having bots, but anyone who was playing arena while they existed would confirm their undeniable presence.