All Categories

What is power rating good for?

Search
Sep 26, 2020, 11:3209/26/20
11/27/19

Obviously, team power is utterly useless in choosing opponents in arenas. Does it serve any purpose at all in the game?
Views
Comments
Comments
Sep 26, 2020, 11:4409/26/20
04/14/20
jean said:

Obviously, team power is utterly useless in choosing opponents in arenas. Does it serve any purpose at all in the game?
It's not useless in choosing opponents, but you need to know a bit how to interpret it. Power rating is determined to a large extent by the resistance stat, for unclear reasons, as well as various champions' main stat (attack, defense or HP). If you see an opponent with unusually high power for the arena level you're at, it's a good bet that this will be a high resistance team - so you may want to avoid them if you rely heavily on placing debuffs and you don't have super high accuracy to overcome that resistance. If on the other hand you see an opponent with unusually low power, it's likely that this is a well-designed speed nuking team - very fast so you might lose to a speed nuke, but if you can either outspeed them or somehow survive the speed nuke with your team intact, it should be relatively easy to win. 
Sep 26, 2020, 16:5909/26/20
02/13/19

Player power is important in a clan, so you can climb the leaderboard.

Oct 14, 2020, 19:5910/14/20
11/27/19

L9753 said:

jean said:

It's not useless in choosing opponents, but you need to know a bit how to interpret it. Power rating is determined to a large extent by the resistance stat, for unclear reasons, as well as various champions' main stat (attack, defense or HP). If you see an opponent with unusually high power for the arena level you're at, it's a good bet that this will be a high resistance team - so you may want to avoid them if you rely heavily on placing debuffs and you don't have super high accuracy to overcome that resistance. If on the other hand you see an opponent with unusually low power, it's likely that this is a well-designed speed nuking team - very fast so you might lose to a speed nuke, but if you can either outspeed them or somehow survive the speed nuke with your team intact, it should be relatively easy to win. 

So essentially, avoid high-power teams, avoid low-power teams, and go with a 50/50 chance with a team roughly the same power as you (which might also be a finely tuned nuke team of higher power).  

Let's just avoid wasting too much time in arenas altogether, huh?
Oct 14, 2020, 20:0210/14/20
11/27/19

Valdys said:

Player power is important in a clan, so you can climb the leaderboard.

Well whoop dee doo... Game changer stuff for sure. 

In fairness, that's the best answer I've gotten so far on the issue, so props for delivering it. But it confirms to me the utter uselessness of that reading.
Oct 14, 2020, 22:4710/14/20
04/14/20

jean said:

L9753 said:

So essentially, avoid high-power teams, avoid low-power teams, and go with a 50/50 chance with a team roughly the same power as you (which might also be a finely tuned nuke team of higher power).  

No, it depends on how your own team is built whether you should avoid them or not. If you know your team is very fast, then the low power speed nukers aren't necessarily scaring you. If you know you have very solid accuracy, or you just don't rely that much on debuffs landing, maybe the high resistance isn't a problem. And of course your analysis / decision whether to attack (and with which team) should be based on a combination of the power rating and the champions on that team. 

Arena is tough for sure, though the last few weeks with the weird bot stuff has made it massively easier for tons of people - for however long that lasts. But I think it's possible to become reasonably good at assessing teams - the problem is that starting players face opponents who are just way too strong, however accurately you assess them and try to find counters to them. 
Oct 14, 2020, 22:5110/14/20
07/05/19

jean said:

L9753 said:

jean said:

Before trying to decipher the team power, you need to first know, what is your team do? Is it a high speed nuker? A tanker? What?

Once you understand that, then you decipher what enemy is your team capable of frighting.

For instance, my team is a tank team built to survive high speed nuker team, that's why I hunt for the high speed team, hence I look for low powered teams as they usually are speed teams.

So what's your team is built for?
Oct 15, 2020, 01:2210/15/20
Oct 15, 2020, 01:23(edited)
07/31/20

I believe the (this) game designers did not know how (wrong) mislead they designed at beginning, they might count all champion stats equally. However, in reality, speed stat ruled Arena, pvp, make all power indicators wrong.

If I could give a fix, I would do like this:

- Speed stat x 5

- Crit rate x 5 (limit to 100% - i.e. max 500 points)

- Crit damage x 3

- Accuracy vs. Resistance, only x 2 which one higher.

- The rest x 1.

-------

Sum all = Total power.

That is "more" precise than current power indicator. 

The better one is (Speed, Accuracy) x factor for debuffers. (Speed, Crit Rate, Crit damage, Atk) x factor for attacker, etc. 

Oct 15, 2020, 13:5710/15/20
12/19/19
i think the current power calculation is fine.  Just need to utilize it correctly, with the team comp and player level.  It doesnt really matter until they remove the bots again lol
Oct 15, 2020, 14:2310/15/20
07/05/19

The thing is, I think any power rating score calculation would fall flat, because in Arena what counts most is team synergy, which is un-quantifiable

I don't know at the top tier, but for me (and still do fight the normal accounts in classic) I win 95% of my fight despite going 2nd (sometimes even going last), and I don't count the bots in that calculation.

Oct 20, 2020, 18:5410/20/20
11/27/19
L9753 said:

No, it depends on how your own team is built whether you should avoid them or not. If you know your team is very fast, then the low power speed nukers aren't necessarily scaring you. If you know you have very solid accuracy, or you just don't rely that much on debuffs landing, maybe the high resistance isn't a problem. And of course your analysis / decision whether to attack (and with which team) should be based on a combination of the power rating and the champions on that team. 

At the end of the day, if a full roster analysis is required for every arena fight, it pretty much confirms that power ratings serve absolutely no purpose in the arenas (or anywhere, really). It's an entirely meaningless value and could/should be removed from the game.
Oct 20, 2020, 18:5810/20/20
04/14/20
jean said:

L9753 said:

At the end of the day, if a full roster analysis is required for every arena fight, it pretty much confirms that power ratings serve absolutely no purpose in the arenas (or anywhere, really). It's an entirely meaningless value and could/should be removed from the game.
Uh, no, it does serve a purpose. Just not the obvious one that you'd expect - but in my experience with these kind of games, even in games where power is a more straightforward representation of actual team strength than here, it can still be very misleading in some cases as there are still ways to have super-strong optimized teams with a deceptively low power score. As OzzLee said, there's no way of calculating power that would fully capture the strength of a team - and in any case, how strong an opponent is depends also on your own team and what your go-to tactics are. 
Oct 20, 2020, 18:5910/20/20
11/27/19
OzzLee said:

Before trying to decipher the team power, you need to first know, what is your team do? Is it a high speed nuker? A tanker? What?

Once you understand that, then you decipher what enemy is your team capable of frighting.

My point isn't that teams should/shouldn't be built around a theme, only that power rating is meaningless in the game. I've actually been whopped by teams with a THIRD of my power, so clearly power rating is not connected to power. It might as well be labeled "random rating" for all its usefulness.
Oct 20, 2020, 19:0510/20/20
11/27/19

Indent14 said:

I believe the (this) game designers did not know how (wrong) mislead they designed at beginning, they might count all champion stats equally. However, in reality, speed stat ruled Arena, pvp, make all power indicators wrong.

If I could give a fix, I would do like this:

- Speed stat x 5

- Crit rate x 5 (limit to 100% - i.e. max 500 points)

- Crit damage x 3

- Accuracy vs. Resistance, only x 2 which one higher.

- The rest x 1.

-------

Sum all = Total power.

That is "more" precise than current power indicator. 

The better one is (Speed, Accuracy) x factor for debuffers. (Speed, Crit Rate, Crit damage, Atk) x factor for attacker, etc. 

Completely agreed. I don't mind if there's a certain level of inaccuracy in something called a power rating (it's not an exact science), but when a team with a third of your power can kick your ass, it's clearly broken. It should either be fixed or removed from the game altogether. In that case, casual users should be presented with an alternative (and helpful) method to quickly assess their odds in a fight. Leaning the exact specs of 300+ characters is not an option for casual players.

Then again, maybe this game doesn't need money from casual players. It certainly isn't getting mine.