All Categories

Second 6 star dilemma - Hordin, Warmaiden, Apothecary or someone else?

Search
May 6, 2020, 22:2905/06/20
04/13/20

Hello everyone. My first 6 star was Athel (not my starter, mind you, I had chosen Elhain), and I have her fully booked. I am getting ready to choose my second 6 star, and I do not want to make a wrong decision and waste my 5 star food. 

I managed to hoard (and use) a number of shards of all types from quests, missions, campaign progression, drops, event and tournament rewards, and I did buy a few packs containing sopme shards too. I am buying an Ancient shard every day for USD 1, and I try to always have enough Silver to buy another should it appear on the Market offer. I was lucky to get some Rare champions even from the heaps of Mystery shards I have managed to collect. I have not been lucky and I have not gotten a Legendary yet.

I am considering several of my champions for my second 6 star, mostly with Campaign farming in mind, so that I can get more 6 stars faster. Having a viable secondary use would be nice, though.

I would be grateful for any advice.

These are my "hot" candidates:

Hordin

Warmaiden

Apothecary

Fellhound

Kael

Soulbond Bowyer - fully booked

Elhain - fully booked

I currently have 11 Rare and 15 Epic skill books, so I am able to fully book Hordin. I have enough Gems to buy the Mastery scrolls for my second 6 star.

I have several other Epic champions, but I am not sure any of them would be a good choice for my second 6 star. I am reasonably sure none of them would.

My vaulted Epics:

Baerdall Fellhammer

Excruciator

Grimskin

Hope

Jizoh 

Knight Errant

Lady Etessa

Missionary

Seneschal

Shaman

Snorting Thug

Spider

Taurus

Ultimate Galek

Views
Comments
Comments
May 6, 2020, 22:4605/06/20
04/14/20

Can't your Athel do the campaign farming? Why would you need a second level 60 with farming as main goal? At least at this stage - if you're in the end-game, maybe you'd want some specialized ultra-fast farmer who can do it in less than 10 seconds or whatever. 

I would think you'd want to choose more in function of other things - dungeons, clan boss, your arena team. 
May 6, 2020, 22:5505/06/20
04/13/20

L9753 said:

Can't your Athel do the campaign farming? Why would you need a second level 60 with farming as main goal? At least at this stage - if you're in the end-game, maybe you'd want some specialized ultra-fast farmer who can do it in less than 10 seconds or whatever. 

I would think you'd want to choose more in function of other things - dungeons, clan boss, your arena team. 

Well, I am not at the stage where I could equip her +16 Legendary arfifacts, so her performance is not perfect yet. I struggle a bit with the last part of Brutal Campaign.

I am very well aware that the Campaign is not everything there is to do, which is why I do consider other uses for my second 6 star. I understand that Hordin is quite good in the Arena, and that is an area where I struggle a lot, so having a strong champion there would definitely be useful.

Just before I returned to the forums, I pulled the Epic champion Erinyes from my Brutal Campaign rewards Ancient shard. She would be good against the Clan Boss and some of the Dungeon Bosses, right?

What would be your recommendation, please?
May 6, 2020, 23:2905/06/20
02/23/20

None of those champions would significantly improve farming 12-3. Best to focus on a support champion that will help you in the dungeons. Once you get your first 60, focus on getting good gear for it. Defense down is a must for clearing dungeons easier so Warmaiden is a good option. BUT she will be replaced eventually and the only utility she offers is that. I would honestly go for Apothecary. He heals, he speeds you up, you can use him in arena, dungeons, clan boss. He is still used on level 20 dungeons, so making him a 6* is never a wrong decision.

Don't spend books on Hordin, he is a below average champion after you hit mid game. You will get better champions for sure.

May 6, 2020, 23:2905/06/20
08/26/19
Apothecary
May 6, 2020, 23:4205/06/20
04/13/20

Thank you for the replies.

One thing that still confuses me about the Apothecary is his healing. You see, he only heals a single target and he does not remove the debuffs. I have the Chaplain, who can heal the whole team, while hitting all enemies, and a single ally heal skill which also removes all debuffs, but she is not considered too good for some reason.

Could someone, please, explain it to me? What am I not seeing on the Apothecary that makes him so good?
May 7, 2020, 07:0205/07/20
04/14/20

WatchdogCZ said:

One thing that still confuses me about the Apothecary is his healing. You see, he only heals a single target and he does not remove the debuffs. I have the Chaplain, who can heal the whole team, while hitting all enemies, and a single ally heal skill which also removes all debuffs, but she is not considered too good for some reason.

Could someone, please, explain it to me? What am I not seeing on the Apothecary that makes him so good?

If you put high speed gear on him and invest the books to reduce his cooldowns, he will be using that heal a LOT and also speeding up your whole team a lot. Obviously it's a very strong heal, even if it's just single target, and also it's on a 2 turn cooldown when booked. If you're in an arena fight and you end up in a situation where let's say you lost your main DPS but have 3 champions left, with only a level 60 Apothecary left on the enemy team, you may well find that you are unable to kill him and finish the fight as he just keeps healing himself as fast as you can damage him. 

In some cases indeed a healer who heals the whole team could be better, if all of your champions are taking significant damage and all require frequent healing, but those can't speed up your team like Apothecary can. Chaplain's main problem, I would say, is that both her AOE heal and single target heal scale off her attack, so you'd need high attack for strong heals - but then she would be squishy and easily die herself. You want healers who will survive long, so with high HP/defense rather than attack. Secondly, her single target heal has a 3 turn cooldown and the AOE one even a 5 turn cooldown - she will be healing much less often than Apothecary. 

I got lucky with a sacred shard some weeks ago and pulled Sethallia, a legendary with a stronger heal (removes all debuffs and heals one target for 75 percent, then heals everybody else for 20 percent if the first target got back to full health, also on a 2 turn cooldown when booked, though obviously legendary books are far more valuable than rare ones). She has definitely taken over a lot of Apothecary's work, in a few cases I run both together. But among rares or even epics, there are very few champions who heal as well as Apothecary. 

Regarding Erinyes, I recently got her from the fusion (she's an intermediate step to fusing Rhazin Scarhide, but I fused her just to play her for now, we'll see if I end up using her for Rhazin or if I can manage to fuse/pull a second one). I do like her on my Clan Boss team because of the debuff extension plus poison, indeed. Haven't tried her in dungeons yet, those things could also be useful there but maybe not to the same extent because with dungeon bosses it's less crucial to constantly keep as many poisons as possible ticking, as it is on CB. 

May 7, 2020, 08:0405/07/20
08/26/19

WatchdogCZ said:

In short - he is considered one of the best Rare in game for multiple reasons. He is Rare, means he is way more easy for you to build him when you are relative new player. Some champions can operate well even without books, but more of them will greatly benefit from books and you can have Apo booked relatively early in game.

He also is pretty easy to build - you want him only to be fast and to live longer.

He has 3 hits on his A1, meaning he can benefit from Giant Slayer mastery and can be used with success on CB and FK. You will not see him on top of the damage chart, but that is not what you expect from him.

His speed buff with low CD, combined with good speed equipment on him can keep your team almost 100% of the time on speed buff. That is something that really matters especially on prolonged battles.

He may have only single heal, but that heal is on very low CD and can crit, resulting in considerable heal. Crit heal acts the same way as crit hit and if you want him to get crit heal more often, you should invest in his crit. rating (not advisable early in game, when your equipment is not that good). But that flash heal, even if not crit, is something that can turn the battle.

Also, he has additional turn meter boost in his kit and that, even if it' only 15% boost, will result in better overall team performance, especially on prolong battles or when you want to give your other champions that little extra boost to start before your opponent in Arena.

There are better healers out there, there are better speed/turn meter manipulators in game, sure. But after 8, 9 months in game I still can't find someone that regret 6* him and invest in him. On my second account he is still main factor for almost all my dungeon runs in term of healing and speed. 

Also, no matter who you chose to 6* next, don't put books in any Epic you have now. Non of these Epics is worth heavy investment and non of them will make considerable difference even if you fully develop them. Be picky then it comes to Epic and Lego books.

May 7, 2020, 10:3405/07/20
04/13/20

Thank you again for the explanations. I chose the Apothecary based on your advise. He is doing quite well, although I am eventually going to need better gear for him and Athel alike.

Now I am trying to get myself some rank 5 food to be able to get a third 6 star, by farming 12/6 on Brutal. It is going to take me some time, though. *sighs*