All Categories

Is Astralon just bad? Should I switch his gear to Ronda?

Search
Dec 12, 2023, 17:1312/12/23
06/16/22

Small disclaimer - he has no masteries currently, so I'm banking on the extra crit rate, and the T5 Helmsmasher most likely.

Even so...Whenever I put him up against teams he really seems like he hits like a wet noodle. I ocassionally see his A2 pop off, but his A3 is extremely unimpressive. Even with a 5 star blessing he seems underwhelming. 

Should I move his gear to Ronda perhaps, or should I work on his build and who I go up against? 

i

i

Views
Comments
Comments
Dec 12, 2023, 17:2012/12/23
06/25/20

He's not designed to be a nuker. His job is the 100% aoe stun on the a2. So, you can't compare him to Ronda, whose main role is purely damage.

Dec 12, 2023, 17:4012/12/23
06/16/22
kramaswamy.kr

He's not designed to be a nuker. His job is the 100% aoe stun on the a2. So, you can't compare him to Ronda, whose main role is purely damage.

Is he better designed as a debuffer/counter into Duchess teams? I was under the assumption he was supposed to be hitting hard. 

Dec 12, 2023, 18:2912/12/23
06/25/20
kmanmott

Is he better designed as a debuffer/counter into Duchess teams? I was under the assumption he was supposed to be hitting hard. 

His A3 has a 4x multiplier - which is just "okay". Compare that to a traditionally hard-hitting champ like Trunda, whose A3 has a 6x multiplier. You can see the difference. Like I said, his job is to stun, so compare him to other similar champs, like for example Ragash.

Dec 12, 2023, 18:3512/12/23
12/19/19
kmanmott

U have crappy gear :) that's a universal problem to all your questions  😀

But seriously, ronda is better. Ragash is better.

Dec 12, 2023, 19:2612/12/23
01/31/20

Astralon was introduced as a Duchess counter and control toon.  His A3 was brilliant at both tasks until  Stoneskin gear came along and took over the Arena.  Damage is a secondary concern for him, but is still good, just not top-tier.  With 6k Atk & 250 CD, you should be seeing good damge, but with only 159 speed, the opponent has all of their buffs up and has probably taken two turns before he ever comes out to play.  

I ran Astralon on my main Arena team for over a year, but retired him when Stoenskin became the Meta.  I ran him fast and accurate with less damge than you have:  267 Speed with 400 Acc.  If you want a pure damage option, he is not your best choice, but if you want to priortize crowd-control, you need to re-focus his gear.                   

Dec 12, 2023, 19:4312/12/23
06/16/22
Trips

U have crappy gear :) that's a universal problem to all your questions  😀

But seriously, ronda is better. Ragash is better.

Crappy gear :( 6k attack, 250% cdmg feels pretty decent IMO

Dec 12, 2023, 19:4712/12/23
06/16/22
kramaswamy.kr

His A3 has a 4x multiplier - which is just "okay". Compare that to a traditionally hard-hitting champ like Trunda, whose A3 has a 6x multiplier. You can see the difference. Like I said, his job is to stun, so compare him to other similar champs, like for example Ragash.

Any recommendations if I should be even using him or not? I had a 5 star soul for him so I thought I would give him a shot. I assume he might not be filling a great slot in my teams but I'm a little unsure. Feels like most teams are like 2-3 supports and 1 ultra nuker.

Dec 12, 2023, 19:5412/12/23
06/25/20
kmanmott

Any recommendations if I should be even using him or not? I had a 5 star soul for him so I thought I would give him a shot. I assume he might not be filling a great slot in my teams but I'm a little unsure. Feels like most teams are like 2-3 supports and 1 ultra nuker.

Depends on your team. Running someone like Astra works best if you have a team built around ACC up + Buff Strip, but it's tricky to make work properly. You'd want something like, say, Kimi + Ramantu + Astra + Kymar. Personally I don't run teams like that anymore - my three I use in tag, for example, are Pyth + UDK + Wythir + Rotos, Hephraak + Ramantu + Gaius (all three in Stoneskin Lightning Cage) + Nogdar, and Kimi + Kymar + Shazar + Inithwe (all four in Stoneskin Lightning Cage).

Dec 12, 2023, 19:5712/12/23
01/31/20
kmanmott

He is not a nuker at the level "run three support toons to keep this nuker alive and when he finally hits, the other team is toast."  He just will not hit like that.  That is not what he was desigend to do.  See my earlier comment for how to use him more effectively.         

Dec 12, 2023, 20:0412/12/23
06/16/22
kramaswamy.kr

Depends on your team. Running someone like Astra works best if you have a team built around ACC up + Buff Strip, but it's tricky to make work properly. You'd want something like, say, Kimi + Ramantu + Astra + Kymar. Personally I don't run teams like that anymore - my three I use in tag, for example, are Pyth + UDK + Wythir + Rotos, Hephraak + Ramantu + Gaius (all three in Stoneskin Lightning Cage) + Nogdar, and Kimi + Kymar + Shazar + Inithwe (all four in Stoneskin Lightning Cage).

So right now I have below champs: 

Mostly I'm using the following supports: 

• Team 1: Mithrala, Pythion, UDK, SWK
  • Team2: Pythion#2, Ukko, Ragash (or Soulless, or Astalith sometimes)
  • Team 3: Speed Team - Arbiter, Kymar, Madame, Georgid

I'm pretty lacking on OP supports like Duchess, Kimi, Siphi, etc. 

I'm currently putting Nodgar through Minotaur grind, and finishing up Valkanen as well.

i

i

Dec 12, 2023, 20:0912/12/23
06/25/20

He could work on that 2nd team, but building him into a team as CC when you have no ACC up is really tough to work. You need 500+ ACC, and doing that means you lose most damage - and you have no buff removal either.

I'd probably not bother with him. Valkanen is an interesting fit for that team with his secret skill.

Dec 12, 2023, 20:1712/12/23
06/16/22
kramaswamy.kr

He could work on that 2nd team, but building him into a team as CC when you have no ACC up is really tough to work. You need 500+ ACC, and doing that means you lose most damage - and you have no buff removal either.

I'd probably not bother with him. Valkanen is an interesting fit for that team with his secret skill.

I'm planning on trying to use Valanen and Nodgar as they're a super interested combo to me. Nodgar could go > Valk kills Nodgar, Nodgar raises, does his thing.

Do you think Ronda fits in anywhere as a SWK direct counter or not so much?

Dec 12, 2023, 21:4612/12/23
12/19/19
kmanmott

I'm planning on trying to use Valanen and Nodgar as they're a super interested combo to me. Nodgar could go > Valk kills Nodgar, Nodgar raises, does his thing.

Do you think Ronda fits in anywhere as a SWK direct counter or not so much?

kmann, kram doesnt even do pvp lol.  I think he retired from it :)

Dec 12, 2023, 21:5212/12/23
12/19/19

Yes, I would use ronda on 3v3 of offense.

Defense u just want to be scary as possible.  You can go 3 speed teams (they have to guess which is fastest, if u r really slow probably not a good plan) or 3 annoying tank teams (problem here is some people are willing to take these slow fights and eventually bad AI will cost u).  Life Harvest and block revive helpful.

harleQuinnModerator
Dec 13, 2023, 13:4112/13/23
02/24/19

Ronda is 100% worth using on offense, yes. And agreed that her and Ragash are both significantly better nukers than Astralon.

As far as whether she's a Sun Wukong counter, not specifically, as monkeys are all built so squishy that almost any nuker can keep putting him back down, especially if you have Life Harvest on your support.

What she IS good at is using her A2 to put down Taras, Marichka and Rotos. I use her for this purpose in G4 Tag and pushing Plat. That skill is a delete button for the most problematic champs in Arena.