All Categories

Is There a Soft-Cap on Defense?

Search
Sep 9, 2019, 05:3009/09/19
05/16/19

Just wondering if there is a soft cap on defense, where you notice diminishing returns on it?  From my experience so far, when it comes to clan boss, defense seems far more important than HP.  However, I have always favored defense over HP for my clan boss team, so I have no experimented much yet, especially since getting the gear maxed to 16 to do so is quite expensive (and Faction Wars is running me dry).  So, has anyone experimented enough with defense and HP on clan boss to know if there is a level where there seems to be a soft cap and if so, around how much defense is there a soft cap?
Views
Comments
Comments
Sep 9, 2019, 06:3009/09/19
04/20/19

AscendantGod said:

Just wondering if there is a soft cap on defense, where you notice diminishing returns on it?  From my experience so far, when it comes to clan boss, defense seems far more important than HP.  However, I have always favored defense over HP for my clan boss team, so I have no experimented much yet, especially since getting the gear maxed to 16 to do so is quite expensive (and Faction Wars is running me dry).  So, has anyone experimented enough with defense and HP on clan boss to know if there is a level where there seems to be a soft cap and if so, around how much defense is there a soft cap?

There is diminishing returns all the way through, we don't have those numbers public, BUT, i've noticed once you hit four thousand defense, the higher u go from there, there isn't a huge difference but they will still do more damage if defense based champions

someone with base 8OO defense will see a massive increase of defense reduction going to 16OO while four thousand defense to five thousand won't see all that much more

OpheliaA1Moderator
Sep 9, 2019, 11:5709/09/19
03/11/19

hi op

yes there is diminishing returns.

however the formula is non-linear

have a look at the raid 101 guides on the official youtube channel

there is a video specific for this topic and it provides the following examples:

at 290 DEF you mitigate 15% incoming damage

at 655 DEF you mitigate 30% incoming damage

you see that at 30% it is not double 15% percent, as it should have been 290x2=580, but its 75 more def to get to 30%

out of personal testingi have found that this difference becomes more and more as you stack defence

there literally comes a point where when you add 1000 def on top of what you had at a certain % dmg itigation, you will actually only add 1% to the total dmg mitigation

so its worth investing in understanding where that tipping point lies and answer the golden question

''how much defence should i get before investing in hp''

Sep 10, 2019, 02:4809/10/19
05/16/19

Good to know, thanks.  Wasn't sure if anyone would see this that is familiar with linear and non-linear diminishing returns.  I figured it wouldn't be linear, but wasn't sure how high I could get before noticing a significant drop.  I have tons of gear, but been so busy with Faction Wars and work that I haven't had time to upgrade my clan boss and dungeon teams with it yet.  Figured I would try to get some feedback here first to get a better idea of what directions to go as far as def, hp, crit rate, and crit dmg. 

Again, thanks for the info all.  It's much appreciated.  Now, if I just have enough hours in the day one of these days, I just might get around to actually using the gear I want to :P
Sep 10, 2019, 12:0609/10/19
03/26/19
The only reason to go well over 4k defense on champs is if that champs shield, for instance, such as Valkyrie, scales with defense.  Otherwise 4-4.5k def is more than enough for anyone. 
Sep 18, 2019, 23:3109/18/19
05/16/19

vasyatka said:

The only reason to go well over 4k defense on champs is if that champs shield, for instance, such as Valkyrie, scales with defense.  Otherwise 4-4.5k def is more than enough for anyone. 

I would love to know what kind of gear you're finding where 4-4.5k defense is even an option, lol.  Best I have currently is 3.6k, and that is my "best of the best" gear currently.

One thing to add here... with some experimentation, I have realized that at least up to the 3.6k defense I have on Martyr and Tayrel, defense is superior to HP.  Martyr and Tayrel are almost always my last champions standing on clan boss.  So, at least up to the 3.6k, you get more bang for your buck from defense.
Sep 19, 2019, 05:2009/19/19
04/20/19
AscendantGod said:

vasyatka said:

I would love to know what kind of gear you're finding where 4-4.5k defense is even an option, lol.  Best I have currently is 3.6k, and that is my "best of the best" gear currently.

One thing to add here... with some experimentation, I have realized that at least up to the 3.6k defense I have on Martyr and Tayrel, defense is superior to HP.  Martyr and Tayrel are almost always my last champions standing on clan boss.  So, at least up to the 3.6k, you get more bang for your buck from defense.
I have 3.7k defense on my rhazin using critrate % gauntlets and hp ring >.>
Sep 21, 2019, 01:2809/21/19
05/16/19

Dragon Claws said:

AscendantGod said:

vasyatka said:

I have 3.7k defense on my rhazin using critrate % gauntlets and hp ring >.>

Nice.  Full legendary gear I assume? 

I just recently started farming stage 20 regularly for gear, so only a handful of legendary pieces so far.  Most are epics, a few rares even just for the better stats.  Nice to know that I can still get MUCH better gear, especially considering my group is already pulling 20M+ on the clan boss.  I can only imagine what I'll be able to pull off with gear like that. :)