All Categories

Is it me or is AoE damage dealers WAY overpowered?

Search
May 27, 2019, 04:0405/27/19
05/16/19

It seems to me like most the AoE damage-dealers have the ability to do almost just as much damage to each enemy than other champions that do single target damage.  Like for example, "Sister Militant" who I am leveling as food for others does just as much damage as some of my other champions at a comparable level, but the difference is while my other comparable champions do the damage to ONE target, she does it to ALL enemies every turn.  I am seriously ready to keep her as a 5-star champion just because I can attach a lifesteal and attack set to here and make her VERY tough to take down while burning down entire groups.

I get the same thing with Magmablood.  He gets frequent multiple-target damage, and I feel he is so OP compared to other champions.  He does MORE damage most the time to multiple enemies as my other champions do to one single target.  He is probably the hardest target to take down in my group because he does TONS of damage to enemies and keeps topping his health off in the process!

Is there something I am missing here?  I mean I get with bosses, the AoE isn't as valuable (although since bosses do have allies with them at the start, it usually is anyway), but overall, champions with frequent AoE damage just seem extremely overpowered currently.  Thoughts?
Views
Comments
Comments
May 27, 2019, 08:2205/27/19
May 27, 2019, 08:47(edited)
05/12/19

I Was thinking the same. There is almost no point in single target skills/Champions if aoe dmg deals the same dmg.

Also defense and hp heroes does almost the same dmg as attack heroes which is also wrong. Def heroes should have high sustain and low dmg. 
May 27, 2019, 08:3805/27/19
03/13/19

Well, it totally depends on your team setup.

AOE champs are basically better for campaign and dungeons but worse for cb (compare Skullcrown and Athel or Nazana and Rhazin etc.).

In arena both can shine, sometimes dealing aoe with every attack is great, but once you meet teams that have a strategic build up, you will notice that aoes can backfire heavily - for example against Martyr, Valkyrie, Atur etc.

So it's not as easy as one might think ;)
May 27, 2019, 16:5205/27/19
05/16/19
addmeister said:

AOE champs are basically better for campaign and dungeons but worse for cb (compare Skullcrown and Athel or Nazana and Rhazin etc.).

In arena both can shine, sometimes dealing aoe with every attack is great, but once you meet teams that have a strategic build up, you will notice that aoes can backfire heavily - for example against Martyr, Valkyrie, Atur etc.

I have to disagree that in arena it can backfire.  Even with someone like Atur, if an AoE damage my champion does hits every single character, and then Atur hits me back because of his skill, so what?  If I have lifesteal on my champion, I probably just topped their HP off with the attack anyway, so no big deal.  I still fail to see how it can backfire.  My damage will still exceed my enemies unless they have a ton of counterattacks on their end, which I have yet to come across.
May 27, 2019, 19:5905/27/19
02/22/17
God said:

addmeister said:

I have to disagree that in arena it can backfire.  Even with someone like Atur, if an AoE damage my champion does hits every single character, and then Atur hits me back because of his skill, so what?  If I have lifesteal on my champion, I probably just topped their HP off with the attack anyway, so no big deal.  I still fail to see how it can backfire.  My damage will still exceed my enemies unless they have a ton of counterattacks on their end, which I have yet to come across.
Are you in bronze? 
May 27, 2019, 21:3105/27/19
03/16/19

Congrats, you discovered the beauty of AOE attack with life steal set. If it works for you - enjoy the ride. Seems like if Magmablood is your most OP champion - you have a lot to discover ahead of you. Now, calm down and imagine one of the following scenarios:

1. enemy team has an HP champ with shield set - you cast all your shiny AOE that does 0 damage and doesn't heal - if your champs are picked for their single powerful AOE spell, you practically lost, cuz next 4-5 turns you can't do much.

2. enemy team has Valkyrie or Skullcrusher who casts ally counterattack - for every AOE used, you get attacked by 3-4 champs with all sorts of debuffs. What's important with counterattack is that when you attack with full HP - you don't heal, after that you get counterattacked - so you still lose health.

3. enemy team has Seeker - your AOE attack triggers him to heal and apply ally DEF buff

4. enemy team has reflect damage, that hits you through life steal

5. enemy team has shadow heal masteries, so they heal every time you heal from life steal

list goes on..

AOE damage by itself is not a big deal. Buffs/debuffs, crowd control - these are the important things. A champion who can effectively lock down one target (i.e. enemy healer) is better than champion who can damage all targets. Of course, if you have Shirimani or Bellower who both attack all and apply debuffs/freezes all - then it's a different story.

May 28, 2019, 01:4905/28/19
05/16/19

kalo said:

Congrats, you discovered the beauty of AOE attack with life steal set. If it works for you - enjoy the ride. Seems like if Magmablood is your most OP champion - you have a lot to discover ahead of you. Now, calm down and imagine one of the following scenarios:

1. enemy team has an HP champ with shield set - you cast all your shiny AOE that does 0 damage and doesn't heal - if your champs are picked for their single powerful AOE spell, you practically lost, cuz next 4-5 turns you can't do much.

2. enemy team has Valkyrie or Skullcrusher who casts ally counterattack - for every AOE used, you get attacked by 3-4 champs with all sorts of debuffs. What's important with counterattack is that when you attack with full HP - you don't heal, after that you get counterattacked - so you still lose health.

3. enemy team has Seeker - your AOE attack triggers him to heal and apply ally DEF buff

5. enemy team has shadow heal masteries, so they heal every time you heal from life steal

list goes on..

AOE damage by itself is not a big deal. Buffs/debuffs, crowd control - these are the important things. A champion who can effectively lock down one target (i.e. enemy healer) is better than champion who can damage all targets. Of course, if you have Shirimani or Bellower who both attack all and apply debuffs/freezes all - then it's a different story.

Thanks for the information.  Seems my problem is that being in bronze currently, there is a lot of what you explained above that I am not running into yet. 

Seems there is a lot I will be learning as time goes on.  And I am definitely saving all my epics along with most of my rares.  Since I have yet to learn how many of them will work synergistically, trying to be as conservative with saving them as possible.
KiwiMcSheepModerator
May 28, 2019, 02:2705/28/19
09/18/18

kalo said:

list goes on..

Hello

This is well said nice work.

Though I will be cheeky and say that my gold 4 team is a glass cannon and relies on damage output to win(the team contains AOEs).

regards