All Categories

On Daily Rewards and Energy

Search
Aug 25, 2018, 14:3608/25/18
08/18/18

Hello friends, here I will briefly discuss my thoughts on the recent patch, specifically regarding the energy from rewards.

It seems like before the patch, many of the daily quests would offer energy refills, these refills would incentivize me to continue playing the game for many additional hours, which in turn made me want to spend money in the game for things like XP boosts and gems. Now it seems if I want to keep playing I'm forced to buy energy boosts, which for 40 gems a pop does not seem quite worthwhile - I'd rather have a 3 day xp pack.

I bring this up because bringing back energy in daily quests is good for both the developers and the player. For the developer, it allows players to play the game more, giving them time to become fully invested, which in turn will grant greater sales. If I like the game that I play so much, it will be easier for me to donate  to the shop, especially when I don't have to worry about actually playing because of energy. As for the player, well it gives us more grinding and doesn't penalize us for wanting to do so. Also, in-game, it seems many people are disappointed with the fact that an energy refill was replaced with 2 lesser potions, which are quite easily obtainable - we'd rather just play more ourselves and get those if we wanted them!

A possible solution: if the daily quests will not return to giving energy, could be to allow a player to purchase an energy refill with silver. As there isn't much to do with silver beyond changing and upgrading gear, and buying at the market,  it seems quite useless. This allows for another money sink, while giving players who farm enough money to continue grinding, because everyone knows getting one champion to 6 stars is no easy feat.

These are just some thoughts I've had recently and would like to open up discussion, feel free to share your thoughts!

Views
Comments
Comments
Aug 25, 2018, 14:5308/25/18

I am sure many of us are disappointed that the extra refill was taken away but I was surprised the amount of refill or energy was given to us since it is another way to get them $$$ especially when the game is close to a global launch however, I think as we level up and max energy increases, the refill might even out. I think a game like this needs loyal players regardless they buy packages or not.

My thoughts on using silvers to refill energy. Since its one of the easier element to get in the game and devs will have to balance out gem to silvers ratio. It will be problematic so I really don't see that happening.
Aug 25, 2018, 15:1308/25/18
Aug 25, 2018, 15:14(edited)
08/18/18

XJNINE said:

it is another way to get them $$$ especially when the game is close to a global launch however, I think as we level up and max energy increases, the refill might even out.

I completely understand that charging for refills is another way for making money for themselves (which I wholeheartedly believe they deserve, because the game is awesome). What I'm arguing is that, the energy refills one gets from quests allows them to play the game more, which makes them more invested, which will translate to more sales. Why buy an energy refill once for 40 gems, when you can buy an XP boost for 3 days for 240 gems and then a few shards, etc. This will also help people refer the game more, if I can only play this game for an hour a day (or at best a few spread out throughout the day because of refills on arena and energy), then I'm less likely to refer people. Having people spend more time in the game is how you make the developers more money and build loyalty, it's not a bad thing especially at this early phase. You don't want the most dedicated players only playing for a few hours daily, you want them on a lot.

I think a game like this needs loyal players regardless they buy packages or not.

I would also argue that this creates a loyal player base; if we don't have to worry about actually playing, then we're more likely to recommend more people. This is great for a soft-launch game environment. Also, having happy, addicted players, will bring more players, which means more opportunity for revenue. You want the current players you do have to invest as much time and energy in it as possible, you don't want them on sporadically and then take away things that keep them from playing. For example, if I give you ten dollars every month, then all the sudden I give you 6, you'd be disappointed. However, if I gave you 4 dollars a month, then eventually gave you 6 you'd be happy. The current user base is used to playing more, taking that away does not create loyalty - it harms it.

My thoughts on using silvers to refill energy. Since its one of the easier element to get in the game and devs will have to balance out gem to silvers ratio. It will be problematic so I really don't see that happening.

I understand that silver for energy refills may be difficult - especially because energy = farming which equates to more money, so it would be a continuous loop. However, there must be some other form because 100 energy every few hours is not enough. I'd rather play four hours at once, than play 1 hour at intervals throughout the day. I just invite people to think of other forms, whether it's silver, or maybe setting the mine to farm energy instead of gems? There has to be another way which is beneficial for both parties.

For example, the mine takes gems to get, perhaps it would be nice to choose a setting on the mine for either energy or gems. This way the developers get their money from people paying to upgrade the mine, and gives the player incentive of more energy if they don't want gems at that moment from their mine. What do you think of something like that , Xjnine?

Aug 25, 2018, 18:3208/25/18
07/30/18

I lean more towards XJNINE on the matter although I understand the negative reaction to an Energy nerf. Devs obviously want to keep player sessions constant and long, to an extent. There must be a reason to curb Energy rewards otherwise they risk drawing the ire of us players and for what gain?

I reckon they have forecast energy consumption vs. player progression and other yields and probably figured we are all grinding waaaay more than they could have anticipated. I can easily picture some boardroom meetings where the devs are concerned that overall player power/progression will surpass their content release plan for X amount of time if they keep things the way they are. Once community sees that a game is dry on things to do, the game is sure to go on downward spiral. That is the only reason I see for them making this change: for the long-term health of Raid. To that end they are more than willing to take the initial backlash for lowering the Energy yield from completing Dailies (and making dailies slightly more difficult to complete)

As for being able to use Silver to buy Energy refills - I will keep sounding like a big dev apologist here - but I'd say that is a fairly risky move and should be done carefully. Silver already has enough "jobs" - it is primary currency for Market purchases, champion upgrades, artifact upgrades and management and... I feel like I'm missing something else. To add on another important role & allow it to buy Energy, a major gate to how much we can player each day, suddenly puts too much responsibility on Silver and also makes it harder to tune for the overall economy in the future.

Only one guy's opinion. Ultimately, at worst I see them upping the Energy rewards after some weeks have passed. It's all part of the balance/tuning process.
Aug 25, 2018, 21:2908/25/18
Melka said:

For example, the mine takes gems to get, perhaps it would be nice to choose a setting on the mine for either energy or gems. This way the developers get their money from people paying to upgrade the mine, and gives the player incentive of more energy if they don't want gems at that moment from their mine. What do you think of something like that , Xjnine?

You are making another imbalance of currency so if it was up to me, I will vote no.  Choices are always good but in this case, not everything has an equal sum and with shops selling silvers/gems/shards/refills/exp boost, it's too complex for the system itself.
MariusAdmin
Aug 27, 2018, 09:4208/27/18
Aug 27, 2018, 09:43(edited)
09/04/17

Hey guys! 

I wanted to drop by and give you a small spoiler for the coming update as it is relevant to the discussion. We will be adding another way of gaining an Energy Refill. So, in the end, you will actually get more Energy than you had before. Keep an eye out for patch notes, the wait is nearly at an end!
Aug 11, 2020, 05:2008/11/20
11/26/18
I do the daily tasks and weekly tasks and do not get the XP from the taskings
GreenKnightCommunity Manager
Aug 11, 2020, 14:2708/11/20
04/06/20

Hi!

Docherty69 said:

I do the daily tasks and weekly tasks and do not get the XP from the taskings

Double-check if you are not gaining experience from quests, because on the higher levels gain in experience may be less apparent. If you a certain, please contact our support team. Include a description of the situation and your account ID into the report.

Link to our support team:

https://plarium-mobile-support.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000007492

Have a nice one.